"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

State park ---- good idea! I think the one here has a big paviliion that rents for $40 a day - it has big barbecue pits, etc.
I've never been to a chickenstock either. I would estimate about 50-60 people on the conservative side-- i'm sure many people will come & go during the day so it could be as many as 100-200 before the day is over.

Door prizes -- good idea, we can hit our local suppliers for donations.
Admission -- yes, help offset the cost of renting the facility(if there is one)

Food -- not sure, if we can get a head count first? I know the La Beef Assoc donates meat to some events; again, we could ask for donations or if there are not that many people coming, maybe just do potluck or a gumbo or something --- if the facility is near fast food places we could just not worry about the food.

On another note, I guess we need to get our ham antennaes back in the air! sounds like we may have some people to talk to again!

I think I missed it: Where and when?
tongue.png

I think I would rather do a potluck. Instead of worrying about feeding everyone, how about everyone bring their own cooler and drinks and see how this meet up goes?

Ok, just now catching up on things. Whew... Joe, you've been getting after it, lots of ideas floating around. That's great!!! Living way out here in the hicks like I do, we don't have as many facilities as ya'll do, but we DO have Poverty Point State Park, in Delhi. Very nice place. Also, we have the Jason Lingo Center in Oak Grove, very very nice (but probably expensive) they do lots of 4H stuff there.

I'm in favor of the potluck idea... as things progress, and we have a more accurate idea of participants, and hopefully a list of volunteers to help us along, we could assign 'duties', so to speak. Maybe have a couple of people head up the food dept. That way we have food, beverages, ice, plates, cups, utensils, napkins, etc. all covered.

Charging for admission would certainly help offset any cost for the facility. And like you said, we could always decide on a non-profit organization to donate whatever is left over to.

Sponsors would definitely be great. I'm with Terri...we can hit up our local suppliers for donations for door prizes. I know most of them would be most happy to donate. That's great advertisement for them.

Oh, and we DEFINITELY need to get the 4H groups invited. I've already mentioned it to my daughter, and she to her leaders. They think it's a great idea.

Ok, I'm gonna jump off here and make a couple of calls. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

Lesa

Last edited:
I would love to attend a Chickenstock, but with 3 small children (the youngest just turned 1) I'm not sure if I could make it that far away with my little crew.

I have seen that for another Chickenstock they had a processing demonstration. That would be helpful for us beginners. I would like to start growing my own meaties but I am a little nervous about the whole processing, well um, process. Do y'all know if the ag centers rent out the processing setups (including whizbang pluckers)? I have heard that some do, I'm just not sure if they do in La.

Good luck with the planning!

Well if we do go to a state park... They do have those BIG HUGE pits... What about CHICKEN!!!!! lol... Thought I would throw that out there.. mine are pets and egg layers, so that would be a problem... Sorry for waiting so long to post, hatching going on here... just hatched out 4 of my 6 eggs.. Little Bitty Seramas!!! Pic below of me pointing at one. My finger looks HUGE!

67636_101_0371.jpg

Back to the topic.. I do like the pot luck idea, If we have it at a park, then the admissions should be donation based.. The largest pavilion at D' Arborne is only 40 bucks..

Here is the text from the email I received back from LSUAg. We might have to limit to chicks and fert eggs....

What about The park in Ruston, D'Arborne State Park, Jimmie Davis Park, Poverty Point State Park

*Hello Joe,

*Dr. Lavergne cc’d me on your correspondence about a spring show/exhibit. She included in that email the pertinent regulations that apply to the comingling of birds. Our goal at LDAF is to protect the *bird populations in our state, both hobbyists and commercial growers. Since many of the diseases of birds are easily transmitted, and some are catastrophic in their effects, we would like to be involved *in any events where birds from multiple sources congregate. In addition to the required testing for pullorum, we do not allow birds that are showing active fowl pox or respiratory illness to enter into an *event. We also like to hand out brochures on biosecurity and information on how to enroll in our NPIP testing programs. Please feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions that I can help *answer.

*Dr. Michael Barrington

The health regulation in Louisiana for all birds going to an exhibition on any type is as follows:

“Each bird (including broilers) participating in the event must meet federal and state quarantine and interstate regulations. Each bird (including broilers) brought to the show must have the following papers: (1) An individual health certificate, including premises identification number, dated within 60 days of the show, indicating the bird is free of disease and has been tested free of Salmonella pullorum and Salmonella gallinarum within the last 60 days; (2) VS Form 9-2 (bird or flock) attached to the health certificate a) indicating the bird is free of Salmonella pullorum and Salmonella gallinarum (pullorum and typhoid) dated within 60 days prior to the show, or b) indicating the flock of origin is under the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) and is free of Salmonella pullorum and Salmonella gallinarum (pullorum and typhoid) dated within the past year, c) identification of each bird is recommended, for example, by leg or wing band, with the identification listed on the VS 9-2 form; (3) Recommend Avian Influenza testing for each bird (including broilers). (4) Each bird (including broilers) brought to the show must indicate on the health certificate the physical location of origin and return destination for 30 days prior to and after the show. “

I have asked if this includes Chicks, and Sitting Eggs.. Waiting for a reply. But I believe that all you have to do on that is show that your flock is under the NPIP.

and I Dream... You know the true reason you don't want to come... Simply Chicken Math... You come with 3 children, leave with 9... LLOLL
lau.gif
Sorry...couldn't resist.

Last edited:
here is the rules and regulations concerning livestock at state parks:

B. Any pet brought on OSP property must be leashed, caged or crated. Leashes shall not exceed 6 feet in length. With the exception of service dogs, pets are not permitted within buildings or other enclosed structures on site, nor are they allowed near designated swimming areas and in overnight facilities. Owners of pets shall be fully responsible for any injury and/or damage caused by their pet.
C. No person shall allow livestock to run or graze on any site, except in specially designated areas and/or as part of special programs or events approved in advance by the assistant secretary.
D. No pets are allowed on state preservation areas

thumbsup.gif

With regard to a location, have you checked with your County Agent? Also, is there any reason why we couldn't have it in the parking lot of Tractor Supply? Farmer's Market would also be good. I also like the idea of Poverty Point.

My husband, being a HAM operator and smarty pants, says, "why don't we have a combined swap meet and call it 'HAM and Eggs'"
lau.gif

lol... Ham and eggs... I love it.. The only problem with having it at a business (that I can forsee) is if we try to get door prizes, or sponsors. A lot of your feed stores DISPISE TSC.. That is why I was looking at a neutral location.

As for state parks, The only other problem I see is distance. They arn't close to anything.

I did contact the Ouachita Parish agent. He has given me a few ideas for locations.

Joe

Last edited:
Quote:
The chicks are so cute! So little. I noticed that your brooder is handmade. Did you make it yourself? If so, Would you be willing to share/sell your instructions? I like that idea. This spring I'll be trying to hatch sebastopol eggs, which are quite large, and only have one drawer on my incubator for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom