"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thought this was a bit funny:

I brought 2 pairs of sebbies to the Opelousas swap in May. A pair went to Mzstre and the other I sold to a local man who was selling chickens there. I got a call from him last week being accused of selling mixed breed geese!
gig.gif
He obviously wound up with a smooth breasted gosling (my gander is smooth breasted). He wasn't ugly about it or anything, but he also wants me to go to his place and re-sex them. He can't tell the difference when he and his daughter tried to vent sex them. Do you think I am wrong if I tell him to DNA sex them if he has an issue? Vent sexing isn't always exact, and I told him this at the swap. I am pretty good, but I wouldn't say I'm always 100%. He also was mad because one of the white goslings I sold him had some light gray feathers. A little quick research shows that this is typical juvenile female feathering that usually molts out, but I'm sure the man thinks that I've robbed him!

I also sold some pure BW Ameraucanas last month. The girls had been abused by my rooster and were starting to molt so they were looking pretty rough. I explained to the people about the molt and showed them some pictures of the girls in good feather. They happily took them home. They were SUPER nice, but the called after a week wondering why they weren't getting any eggs. Apparently they bought these girls hoping they would lay piles of blue eggs. While they will lay the blue eggs, the pure bred birds aren't even considered average layers. Add on the stress from the move, the heat, and their current molt and I wouldn't expect eggs from them for a good while.

I feel so bad that these people are confused. Both are experiencing typical issues/characteristics of their breed. I try to be as helpful to my customers as possible, but am I out of line for thinking that people should do a little research into what they are buying before they make a purchase? I don't want people feeling like I swindled them!
Gosh, Ashley -- I'm sorry that you're having to deal with these issues. On the Sebastopols, I'd definitely tell them to dna sex them. It's not fair to you to have to prove the gender of the goslings especially when you told them up front that your vent sexing was not 100%. Also, I'm betting that they bought them at a pretty good price. I agree also that a little research is very important if they're going to have sebbies or any other animals. I guess if the sebbies' wings get a little funky, as they sometimes will, that will be your fault too.

Gosh, Ashley -- I'm sorry that you're having to deal with these issues. On the Sebastopols, I'd definitely tell them to dna sex them. It's not fair to you to have to prove the gender of the goslings especially when you told them up front that your vent sexing was not 100%. Also, I'm betting that they bought them at a pretty good price. I agree also that a little research is very important if they're going to have sebbies or any other animals. I guess if the sebbies' wings get a little funky, as they sometimes will, that will be your fault too.

I sell my extra birds to help pay the feed bill, but this makes you wonder if it's worth it lol

Chris, They are the cutest chicks I've ever seen. I can already see that I'm going need a bigger coop and the first one isn't finished yet. I would love to have a couple of Cochins. Are you expecting Cochin babies soon? I work in Covington and live near Folsom.
No I don't have any Cochins but may know someone that does have them. I'll see if they do and if they have anything to sell.

Chris

Way to go Cajun Backwoods! I've taken out a couple of those too, this year. They're like rats; where there's one-- there's more.

Woke up to 3 pea eggs pipping this morning!
yippiechickie.gif
So here we go again! -- last hatch of this year, as the peacocks are now starting to moult & no eggs have been laid for the past two weeks now.

i found whats been getting my eggs and a couple of pullets, he want get anymore.;)                                                                                                                   

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

Way to go Cajun Backwoods! I've taken out a couple of those too, this year. They're like rats; where there's one-- there's more.

Woke up to 3 pea eggs pipping this morning! :yiipchick So here we go again! -- last hatch of this year, as the peacocks are now starting to moult & no eggs have been laid for the past two weeks now.

Congrats Terri !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :celebrate Keep us posted.

I locked down this morning before I left. I didn't hear any pipping and no early hatches. Now it's a waiting game.

Back
Top Bottom