"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Just a heads up. My daughter bought some white silkies from a couple in Bush last week. They apparently were sick and just not showing signs yet. The next day they were sneezing and looking drowsy. Unfortunately, it had already started to spread. Half my flock is sick now. Eyes glued shut with goop, sneezing and wheezing. I've never had a chicken with whatever this is before so I don't know what I'm dealing with. Íf anybody had a clue what it might be, please let me know. I've tried contacting them to see if any they still had were sick and if they might know what it was, but I havent gotten a response.

Chris....went by the feedstore yesterday to pick up more feed and saw the fuzzy butts in the bin and asked if her if they were from you.
lol.png
Yae, she had a customer with a problem and I was trying to help her help them out. I'm putting my last group of eggs in lock-down tonight then I'm taking a break from hatching anything!!!!

Chris

Chris,

I got my tractor yesterday - just need to stain it. If you have any more of the sizzle babies that you want to get rid of, I would love to have three. Maybe in the batch you have incubating now. I plan to set up a brooder to keep them up a while before moving them to the tractor. Just let me know.

Chris,
I got my tractor yesterday - just need to stain it. If you have any more of the sizzle babies that you want to get rid of, I would love to have three. Maybe in the batch you have incubating now. I plan to set up a brooder to keep them up a while before moving them to the tractor. Just let me know.
I'm sure I can part with three, just let me know when your ready for them. As for your brooder, Walmart has those big plastic storage tubs. I use them and they work great for about a month then you need to get something a little larger,

Chris

It has been forever since I have been on, I just had to share the news... my red star laid her first egg this morning
wee.gif
My daughter and I had been in the coop playing with the birds for a good 20 minutes before I saw it. Of course she didn't lay it in her nice cushy nest box that we made for her, we found it on the ground under the hanging waterer
barnie.gif
It was strange looking though, it was a brown egg but one side of it was white and it was really small. I know being her first egg it wouldn't be perfect but I've never heard of getting a brown and white egg or seen one either?

Just a heads up. My daughter bought some white silkies from a couple in Bush last week. They apparently were sick and just not showing signs yet. The next day they were sneezing and looking drowsy. Unfortunately, it had already started to spread. Half my flock is sick now. Eyes glued shut with goop, sneezing and wheezing. I've never had a chicken with whatever this is before so I don't know what I'm dealing with. Íf anybody had a clue what it might be, please let me know. I've tried contacting them to see if any they still had were sick and if they might know what it was, but I havent gotten a response.
If the person sold you sick birds, chances are you won't hear from them again. It's always a good policy to quarantine birds for AT LEAST a week before letting them loose with your flock. Good luck, and I hope it's nothing serious!

Are there specific "symptoms" or behaviors for broodiness? I have checked around and so far have only found remedies for broodiness. My red star that laid her first egg yesterday morning has been acting strange ever since. We caught my RIR roo covering her right before we took her egg so I'm not sure if she's acting like this because we took her egg or because maybe that RIR has worn her out lol She won't lay down or sit down, she's barely walking around she isn't eating or drinking. She is holding her tail down and her poo is almost clear and watery and she goes every couple of minutes. She's the top of the pecking order among my other hens but she is very antisocial now and when my daughter tried to pick her up so we could move her to a seperate pen she pecked her (something she has never done before) she tried to peck her a second time but hit the metal feeder instead and it broke the end of her beak off!! I picked her up and she started kicking and clawing at me, she really drew blood so I just put her back down, the moment I put her down she went and stood in the corner, fluffed out her feathers and started panting. She is still standing there this morning fluffed up and panting. She is normally very vocal but we haven't heard anything out of her since the day before yesterday. Is this because of the egg, broodiness or could she maybe be sick?? Please, any advice....

They will. But you have to get them grown up enough that owls won't get them. The only time we had a free roaming peahen, she liked to roost on top of our garage more than trees, but she was imprinted on people. It was quite messy....I keep my current 2 pair in a 40 x 60 foot pen with an open front coop, also enclosed on top. Too many coyotes in our area to risk letting them roam.
We have seen coyotes in our yard twice now. The first time the chickens were in the coop and the second time they were free ranging. The coyotes completely ignored them...or didn't see them. I don't think I am ready for a peachick then. We have 16 guinea keets at the moment.
wink.png

Are there specific "symptoms" or behaviors for broodiness? I have checked around and so far have only found remedies for broodiness. My red star that laid her first egg yesterday morning has been acting strange ever since. We caught my RIR roo covering her right before we took her egg so I'm not sure if she's acting like this because we took her egg or because maybe that RIR has worn her out lol She won't lay down or sit down, she's barely walking around she isn't eating or drinking. She is holding her tail down and her poo is almost clear and watery and she goes every couple of minutes. She's the top of the pecking order among my other hens but she is very antisocial now and when my daughter tried to pick her up so we could move her to a seperate pen she pecked her (something she has never done before) she tried to peck her a second time but hit the metal feeder instead and it broke the end of her beak off!! I picked her up and she started kicking and clawing at me, she really drew blood so I just put her back down, the moment I put her down she went and stood in the corner, fluffed out her feathers and started panting. She is still standing there this morning fluffed up and panting. She is normally very vocal but we haven't heard anything out of her since the day before yesterday. Is this because of the egg, broodiness or could she maybe be sick?? Please, any advice....
I don't know what could be wrong w/her, but maybe if you post this over in the "Illness, Disease, Injuries" section, someone there might could help you out.

Back
Top Bottom