Love bird question?

Ok, I am posting this for a friend who is a bit concerned about there Love Bird;

This is what they posted:

"As you all know I recently got my new love bird, Oopsy Daisy (oops for short), but she is doing something out of the normal for me. I've owned budgies before and while holding her I realized that she uses the bathroom more than what i'm used to, way more. Should I be worried that shes going so much? I heard that birds usually go every 15 min or so but shes going every 5-7 min multiple times. I dont mind it but it does make me a little concerned.

My best guess is because she is young or maybe she wasnt properly taken care of at the place I got her from. I honestly dont know but when I put fresh food in her home (I say "home" because "cage" sounds cold and bitter) yesterday she wouldnt stop eating. When I took her out to play with her she hopped off my hand and tried to make her way to the door and went in right away after I opened it to continue eating.

Also from what I was aware of that birds couldnt do number 1 and 2 separately but she is able to. Is this statement species specific?"

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This is her page: [/FONT]http://katwithknives.deviantart.com/ where you can actually see pictures of the bird. They are under "newest deviations"
If you want anything else, like better pictures or something or info about the bird, just ask and im sure they will provide it.

Tell your friend not to worry; this is perfectly normal for lovebirds.
and if you have any more questions, just ask me.
pop.gif
(I am a semi pro bird trainer after all)

Sorry to come in on this late....yes, lovebirds poop up a storm and it never ends! LOL So not to worry, it is normal especially if you are comparing the poop output to that of a cockateil or conure.

I have only had experience with parakeets, and Quaker parrots, and I do say that my Quakers don't poop a lot, but I HATE that they will be crawling up the side of their cage, and poop. The bars can never be kept clean, and before I knew this, I bought a BLACK cage. Such a big mistake.

I have heard this was something that Quakers are known for, do you other bird owners notice this.

One time, I was on the floor, 3 feet away from one of my birds' cages, and my Quaker Verde poops while he is crawling up the sides of his cage, and it lands right in front of me.

I have a pair of Fischer's lovebirds- they do poop often. If the bird is pooping more often when interacting with your friend, he/she may be nervous. I have one very tame bird and one more flighty one, and the more fearful bird poops much more often when we handle him. Emptying their bowels is a common response animals have to fear-inducing situations.

I also checked out the video your friend posted, and it is just yawning/trying to clear out the throat. Mine do that when they're grooming if they've swallowed a feather, or if they accidentally swallow a seed hull. As long as they're not doing it constantly, it's nothing to worry about.

Also, her bird looks like a masked/Fischer's hybrid, so she shouldn't breed it.

I have a pair of Fischer's lovebirds- they do poop often. If the bird is pooping more often when interacting with your friend, he/she may be nervous. I have one very tame bird and one more flighty one, and the more fearful bird poops much more often when we handle him. Emptying their bowels is a common response animals have to fear-inducing situations.

I also checked out the video your friend posted, and it is just yawning/trying to clear out the throat. Mine do that when they're grooming if they've swallowed a feather, or if they accidentally swallow a seed hull. As long as they're not doing it constantly, it's nothing to worry about.

Also, her bird looks like a masked/Fischer's hybrid, so she shouldn't breed it.
Ah ok, so its not a real Lovebird then?
I will let her know thank you!

Back
Top Bottom