Love farm fresh eggs but....

amama

Chirping
Mar 16, 2016
Midwest US
don't love my chickens! Between the poop EVERYWHERE, and trying to plant mums for the third time, they really wear me out. Didn't know they would eat the pumpkin we just got either until it was rotten! They are pretty though:)
chickenpumpkin.JPG
chickenpumpkin2.JPG

Yeah, chickens and pretty decorations and ANY kind of plant are a no go. With my first go around, I ended up having to put hardware cloth around all my plants. They were all eaten by a predator and my new flock is in a very large coop with a very large run. I’d like to let them free range on sat and sun but I’m looking at all my pretty plants and flowers I’ve planted and ummm no. Not until I can put something around them to keep those silly chickens from eating them all. And they do it in a short time. Like minutes-plant there, plant gone.

lol, i am glad you posted this. i am having a difficult time with my loves. Cutie literally screams all day until it's free range time. then when she's out, she and fluffy eat entire gardens...the flower bed, butterfly garden, and now they are trying to eat the newly planted and expensive shade garden. when i go to move them, Cutie pecks me. She left a mark. i was so sad.
We are building a better coop with an 80 sq ft run, but it's not ready yet. i have placed bricks around the bottom of my plants-that is helping. Cutie wants to be head hen...but that's my job!
i was wondering if there was anything some chickens do that really piss off the mommas and pappas.
as for stepping in poop...i am not permitted to complain, my husband got me boots to wear outside, he tells me, "that's what the boots are for! " i used to be barefoot-and inever wear the boots or any shoes inside the house.
edited to clarify ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom