Low noise

Discussion in 'Geese' started by JessaDee, Aug 22, 2019.

1. JessaDee

JessaDee Songster

Mar 20, 2013
    what breed would you recommend as a backyard breed. Preferably the most quiet and docile

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    My favorite is Buff Orpington. Quite docile, friendly and can’t fly over your fence. As for quiet, mine aren’t especially, but no noisier than the others I have. Not sure what chicken breed is quiet. They are very social.

Hyper_Chicken05 likes this.
  3. Hyper_Chicken05

Hyper_Chicken05 Songster

Nov 29, 2017
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Silkies, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Pekin bantams, Polish, these are a few popular ones but there are many many many more breeds that you’ll find to be quiet and docile. Fluffy bantams are usually nice.

ValerieJ likes this.
  4. bluemerle

bluemerle Songster

Aug 11, 2018
    Northern Nevada
    :p I assume you mean geese?

I've heard good things about Toulouse, Buffs, and Romans. Shetlands and Pomeranians are small and reportedly good-natured, but I don't know about their quietness.

DiYMama540, ValerieJ and ColtHandorf like this.
  5. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Crowing

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    *scrolls up to check and be sure I'm in the right forum*

Ummm, since we are talking about geese, I would stay away from Chinese and possibly African Geese. It is my experience that those geese with heavy resemblance to Swan Geese are both loud and territorial.

My American Buffs are fairly quite in so much that a goose can be quiet. Golly my gander is often louder than Georgia. Pomeranians and Sebastopols are supposed to be fairly quiet from what I understand.

6. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Geese? Oh. Never mind. Ignore my post. I know nothing about geese. :confused:

Goosygoosygander and bluemerle like this.
  7. bluemerle

bluemerle Songster

Aug 11, 2018
    Northern Nevada
    Can confirm: Africans can be very loud. Mine only make a lot of noise when they get excited/see intruders, and I find it more funny than anything, but I can see the issue when you have close and crochety neighbors.

8. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    So far my silkies are the quietest.

ValerieJ likes this.
  9. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    I have a Pomeranian in my backyard flock...neighbors haven't complained...yet.;)

In all seriousness though, she only gets loud when there's someone or something new in the backyard. She just started this, but it goes to show she knows exactly who and what (dogs and cat) live at our house.

My recommendation is to definitely get a gosling though, we tried to introduce an adult Embden to be a buddy for our goose and...that didn't work out...at all. My experience with that particular goose was that it's a large, noisy, jerk.

Do keep in mind that geese prefer to have a friend of their own species, so if you're thinking of getting one...go ahead and get 2 :highfive:

Miss Lydia, ValerieJ and bluemerle like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

My Embden gander is so loud I think he could break glass lol. And he is like this through mating season which is from Feb till June. Then he rarely makes a sound unless we drive up or someone else. My Toulouse females has a low pitched honk and she makes herself known during mating season too it’s nothing like her mate. She is basically quiet after breeding season is over. Females def are less noisy because they have a low pitched voice anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: