Lowest temperature quail can live outside

It's been in the mid 30s for the last few nights. My birds seem to be doing just fine. They're on the ground with some boxes for shelter. I've blocked some areas off to keep one end of their pen out of the wind, but I have a tyvek sheet coming today that I plan to cover about 3/4 of their pen with for the winter. That will give them wind and rain shelter.
Are the fires close to you? I heard it is getting cold there.

Quail do fine in the wild because they can find cover in brush and tufts of tall grasses.

Are the fires close to you? I heard it is getting cold there.

Quail do fine in the wild because they can find cover in brush and tufts of tall grasses.
I'm about 15 miles away from the mandatory evacuation areas. I'm keeping a close eye on it, but it's 30% contained now with no major wind events in view for the next week.

I hope to go back to work on Monday. My job is in one of the evacuation areas, and the fires have gotten with a few miles of it.

So 32F=0C which is cold! What do you have on the floor?
@ChickenCanoe we don't have wild quail in the winter. They all migrate to Northern Africa or Asia.
They're on the ground in one of my fallow garden beds. I'm also feeding them more mealworms because they are high in protein and fat, which will give them the energy to withstand the cold better.

So 32F=0C which is cold! What do you have on the floor?
@ChickenCanoe we don't have wild quail in the winter. They all migrate to Northern Africa or Asia.
I get that. Forgive me for thinking of new world quail that I used to hunt and improve habitat for on our farm. New world quail don't migrate and aren't closely related to the species you have.

Here it's been in the low 20s F the last few days. I'm in the process of tarping up the sides of the aviary, and I've spread a good layer of straw across the whole floor.

The Coturnix are definitely cold at night—a little puffed, sitting right on their feet—but they warm right up as soon as the sun is out. Coldest it got last year was around 5 F (during which time I locked them in a dog house with hot water bottles).

Next year I plan on building a mini greenhouse for overwintering.

Here it's been in the low 20s F the last few days. I'm in the process of tarping up the sides of the aviary, and I've spread a good layer of straw across the whole floor.
Next year I plan on building a mini greenhouse for overwintering.
I just bought 120 micrograms PVC and will make cage hats tonight. Temperature dropped to 6C

OK, thanks.. I keep them in cages, no sheltered place.. I read 2 articles. One said - minimum 18-19°C = 65°F and the other one said 10°C = 50°F

Quail live outside wild in much colder temps.

We zip tie cardboard on the windy sides & zip tie feather dusters (feather side down on cage floor) to the sides as well. They LOVE snuggling up under the feathers. My daughter gave the chick box a fleece slipper once (bc she lost the mate) & they loved snuggling up in that as well— cut the toe out, so no one suffocates! 1$ a pair at the dollar store, lol

Back
Top Bottom