Lucky Pickens Bantam Cochins

I hope it is ok to join in. I have ordered eggs from others twice now and have had bad luck. I am so thrilled to hear good stories about ordering eggs and having them hatch. I use broodie hens and they can hatch out ones from my flock very well usualy they only lose like 2-3 in the whole nest. but when I order eggs they never do well. I have given up ordering eggs and will just stick with ones from my flock I guess. thank you for sharing all the good news it is so great to see good luck with hatching eggs...:) the pictures are so so cute...

I had terrible luck with shipped eggs before I ordered from Lucky Pickens. Then again, I'd only ordered serama eggs and those don't travel well at all. Both my orders from Roslyn took longer than expected to get to me (postal service's fault), but I had 7 develop and hatch the first time, and this time I've had 5 develop, and 1 quit last week. They're due to hatch next week. The one that quit had a pretty bad loose air cell, so I was surprised it started at all. A few of the eggs even looked like they had broken yolks... Don't know if that's even possible, but they were pretty messed up after USPS played with and lost them for a few days.

If you like bantam cochins you should try ordering from Roslyn (luckypickens). She's got heritage RIR and some other breeds in the egg auction as well. And she's so reasonable with her prices! She does a great job packing too. Hope you have better experiences coming your way!

I love my chicks from Lucky Pickens! I ordered 12 eggs; the poor things apparently had a terrible time with the USPS. I let them rest for 24 hours and I candled all eggs before I set them. All the air cells were detached and horribly misshapen. I really did not expect any of them to hatch. Two eggs were oozing liquid by the second day and I removed 2 clears and 1 with a blood ring on day 10. The remaining 7 developed and hatched even with the crazy air cells (some cells covered the top & a strip all the way to the bottom of the egg!). The 7 chicks that hatched are very robust and healthy - no problems at all!
celebrate.gif

I ended up with 2 SLC, 2 MTC, and 3 BCMC. The only thing I am really sad about is that none of the eggs from the Calico/Mille Fleur pen made it, and those were the ones that I specifically ordered for.
hit.gif

I hope it is ok to join in. I have ordered eggs from others twice now and have had bad luck. I am so thrilled to hear good stories about ordering eggs and having them hatch. I use broodie hens and they can hatch out ones from my flock very well usualy they only lose like 2-3 in the whole nest. but when I order eggs they never do well. I have given up ordering eggs and will just stick with ones from my flock I guess. thank you for sharing all the good news it is so great to see good luck with hatching eggs...:) the pictures are so so cute...

Twice I ordered 36 eggs from Ros and both times I had 100% busted air cells, inspite of this I had 2 hatch on one batch and 3 on the next :(. Next time I asked Ros to put the next load in cartons and it went much much better. No busted air cells and a good hatch. Ask her to put them in cartons and it will go much better.

Roslyn has only sent me eggs in cartons, and I think that's the only reason my eggs have not been totally destroyed by the USPS. I've had it with them, so I'm trying out UPS shipping for the first time with another breeder at the beginning of next month. Sorry you had such bad rates, Mandy. I know it's heartbreaking. I only had 4 develop this last time around--3 have hatched and I'm waiting on the 4th who was peeping like crazy when I left for work. I hatched them with some of my seramas and was shocked to see that the cochins are the same tiny size as my seramas! I'll post pics when they fluff up either tonight or tomorrow. I love hatching :)

mzstre: I also wanted the 2 calico eggs from luckypickens to hatch, they made it to lockdown then never hatched.
sad.png
But out of the 14 eggs, 4 hatched. 4 clear from start, couple quitters and the rest died in lockdown. Eggs were marked White cochin (WC) but he is getting gray feathers by neck and wings, silver laced or mottled (got eggs mixed up but I think it's a SLC), 2 reds (RC) although they don't both look red to me? Here's their baby pic and their pic with feathers.

The black and yellow is the silver laced or mottled, the reddish one and one yellow with brown on back was marked reds, and the one that said white is the gray one with yellow on head.

LL

Then here they are in same order with feathering.
LL

LL

LL

LL

Is your "white" cochin lavender? That's what her chick down looks like to me. I've had a few eggs that were mislabeled, like a LBC that actually feathered out white :p It's torture while you're waiting for them to feather out because you have no idea what you're getting, but overall I actually like not knowing. I think that's why I keep incubating serama eggs.

I though Lavender or Splash because it is getting some light gray feathering by neck and top of wings. I was hoping the red one was mislabeled and it's a mille. But these are my second batch of cochins so just starting out with them. But I love them, they are so sweet and love being pet.

Yeah I got an assortment of colors this time. I'm supposed to have 3 CMC & 1 BCMC, but every single one of them look different haha so we'll see! I know I love how sweet they are. My first batch from her is 7 weeks old now and every day when I go out to the coop and squat down they start jumping up on my legs and shoulders! I love it. They don't like to be picked up though... Heaven forbid I lift them.

Back
Top Bottom