"Lucky" wasn't lucky enough

Mtnboomer

Crowing
Mar 17, 2019
Southwest Virginia (mountains)
So a few weeks ago I posted about an egg I cracked and accidentally "hatched" it. Well "Lucky" the surviving chick was flourishing in the brooder but being an only chick she was needing some safe socializing with the bigger birds.

She is now 4-5wks old so last week I started placing her in our outdoor juvenile run normally reserved for 8wk+ birds. This way she could see and be seen by the free range flock. Unfortunately, both outside brooders are occupied with hens and chicks or eggs so Lucky had no where to sleep. So each night I would carry her back into the garage to sleep in one of the brooders inside. This is royal treatment and only happens to special chicks.

Well today it was hot, and after working outside for 8hrs we played a few games with the kids and I lost track of time. So when I went out to move lucky back inside after dark, I found a very sad scene. One of the local black snakes had tried to make a meal of her. Lucky was dead and the 5ft snake was trying to swallow her but could not get beyond the shoulders. When the snake saw my light, it spit out Lucky and escaped.

I don't blame the snake. It was just doing what they do. It was my fault for putting Lucky out there too soon before she was big enough to not tempt an attack by a snake and for not moving her inside at sundown like usual.

I don't mind the presence of black snakes. This was the 1st predation attempt we've had by one only because I failed to do my part. However, that snake had no chance to actually swallow Lucky. She was already far too big, so the wasted life is upsetting, especially when it should have been prevented. If a snake takes a chick or egg, its a small price to pay for all the good they do, its just a shame that this time it was poor Lucky.

So a few weeks ago I posted about an egg I cracked and accidentally "hatched" it. Well "Lucky" the surviving chick was flourishing in the brooder but being an only chick she was needing some safe socializing with the bigger birds.

She is now 4-5wks old so last week I started placing her in our outdoor juvenile run normally reserved for 8wk+ birds. This way she could see and be seen by the free range flock. Unfortunately, both outside brooders are occupied with hens and chicks or eggs so Lucky had no where to sleep. So each night I would carry her back into the garage to sleep in one of the brooders inside. This is royal treatment and only happens to special chicks.

Well today it was hot, and after working outside for 8hrs we played a few games with the kids and I lost track of time. So when I went out to move lucky back inside after dark, I found a very sad scene. One of the local black snakes had tried to make a meal of her. Lucky was dead and the 5ft snake was trying to swallow her but could not get beyond the shoulders. When the snake saw my light, it spit out Lucky and escaped.

I don't blame the snake. It was just doing what they do. It was my fault for putting Lucky out there too soon before she was big enough to not tempt an attack by a snake and for not moving her inside at sundown like usual.

I don't mind the presence of black snakes. This was the 1st predation attempt we've had by one only because I failed to do my part. However, that snake had no chance to actually swallow Lucky. She was already far too big, so the wasted life is upsetting, especially when it should have been prevented. If a snake takes a chick or egg, its a small price to pay for all the good they do, its just a shame that this time it was poor Lucky.
I'm am so sorry to read your post.
Please DO NOT beat yourself up.
It was nature that intervened.
This happens all the time to young and old, new and seasoned chicken keepers.
Please, bury her and remember the smiles she brought to your face. A hard lesson learned.
I'm glad y'all took the time to play a few games with your kids. These activities are too few anymore and your children will remember them forever.
Your a good Mama/dad/parent.
Vickischicks

Thank you all! Its been a rough hatch this season. The spring hatches didn't and the summer hatches have given us 11 chicks so far but out of those 11, 1 died and 2 had to be euthanized.

The death was determined to be failure to thrive. Nothing could be found physically wrong with it that would have caused death and it was in good body condition. It went to bed bouncing around and in the morning it was gone.

The other 2 euthanasias were a result of a neurological problem and a slip hock that wouldn't stay put.

Sometimes bad luck just finds you and there's not much you can do but suffer through it and wait until it passes.

Happy to report that the remaining 8 are doing very well and 6 more eggs are due to hatch by monday

Back
Top Bottom