Lump At The Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by audra72, Oct 1, 2013.

1. audra72

audra72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just discovered this today with my Cochin. Any ideas for treatment or thoughts about what it is? Its squishy to the touch. No leaks or other symptoms.[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like it could be a sinus infection, which is often caused by a respiratory disease. I would isolate this hen in a warm, clean place. Let her be for a day or so, and see what happens. If the lump goes down, then great, but if not, I would begin antibiotic treatment.

A good antibiotic for respiratory infections is Tylan50 injectable, which can usually be purchased from a livestock supply store for $15-$30. It also comes in an oral powdered form, but the injectable form works faster. The dosage is 1cc for large-fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. Alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, and use a small gauge needle, as Tylan can make the injection area sore. Do not give probiotics or dairy products during Tylan treatment.

In case you're wondering how to inject, here are some basic instructions. More information can probably be found by searching the Internet or BYC:

1. Suck up some of the antibiotic with a syringe and needle.
    2. Have a helper (if possible--otherwise you'll have to hold the bird yourself) hold the bird so that you can easily get to the breast.
    3. Find a spot on one side of the breast that looks meaty. Clear away the feathers, and swab the site with an alcohol-soaked cotton ball.
    4. Slowly insert the needle of the syringe into the meaty spot. Don't go too far; about 1/8-1/4 of an inch.
    5. Draw back the plunger of the syringe. If you see blood, relocate.
    6. If there is not blood, slowly but surely press down on the plunger to release the antibiotic.
    7. Massage the injected area for a minute or two, and then let the bird rest.

If you can't find Tylan, I would recommend trying Oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.). That antibiotic is weaker, but still a good choice when treating respiratory problems. The powdered Oxytetracycline dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of drinking water for 7-14 days. Again, don't give dairy products or probiotics during treatment. Improvement may be seen after 2-3 days, but you should treat for the entire recommended time.

Keep in mind, though, that antibiotics will only be effective against bacteria, not viruses. If this infection (or whatever it is) is caused by a virus, basically the only thing you can do is give supportive care (warmth, nutritious feed, vitamins/electrolytes, etc.) and hope that she recovers.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, it looks like a sinus infection, or the beginnings of a respiratory disease. As Bantamlover21 said, let her be for a day or so and see if the swelling goes away. Keep her isolated from the other birds, as it is likely contagious if its a respiratory disease/sinus infection. Give electrolytes and probiotics, and keep her out of drafts. Make sure that she eats and drinks enough.

Its likely that you willl need to get an antibiotic. Tylan50 is definitely one of the better antibiotics for respiratory diseases. You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding it at a livestock supply store. If you haven't given an injection before to chickens, here is a helpful link: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html. If you can't get Tylan, try some Duramycin or another version of oxytetracycline.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here are some of the viruses and bacterial diseases such as mycoplasma G., infectious bronchitis, and coryza with symptoms and treatments. Many of these are chronic and birds may become carriers. Click here on link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. audra72

audra72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by