Lump on back of leg please help!

Thank you so much you have been so helpful. you and twocrows are very knowledgeable. I will look for him some vitamins when I go out today. I will also post what the vet says about my girl. Her name is peanut by the way. I am considering taking junior my elderly quail along to the vet as well. Vet charges are so expensive so if it's not to high I'd love to take him as well. If not I can always try to get him things at the local farm supply store. Yesterday I was so afraid of what could be wrong with peanut. Ms sounded so scary. I read alot about it and although I still have questions I feel much better. Since it's everywhere and most flocks carry it unknown I realize it's nothing I specifically did. I thought maybe I was not attentive enough and she got hurt and got infection. I knew that couldn't be the case since I check on them several times a day and I spend time with them. I just always blame myself when something is wrong with one of the animals but there's alot of things you just can't avoid. With 11 chickens, 5 quail, and 2 cats there's always something going on.

You are so very kind:hugs

I'm always trying to learn something new. Quail are a mystery to me, so I defer to TwoCrows and other folks that keep them.

No, MS is not something that you have done. Even if it the swelling is due to injury, sometimes these things can't be avoided. A tiny scratch or scuff can turn into infection in birds. I can tell that you care deeply for your Peanut and having an elderly fella that even gets to (watch TV?) on the couch! LOL They are loved very much, I'm sure of it.

Please do let us know what you find out, I hope the vet fixes her leg right up and your little fella gets better soon:)

IMG_20180214_090632996.jpg
IMG_20180214_090610582.jpg
You are so very kind:hugs

I'm always trying to learn something new. Quail are a mystery to me, so I defer to TwoCrows and other folks that keep them.

No, MS is not something that you have done. Even if it the swelling is due to injury, sometimes these things can't be avoided. A tiny scratch or scuff can turn into infection in birds. I can tell that you care deeply for your Peanut and having an elderly fella that even gets to (watch TV?) on the couch! LOL They are loved very much, I'm sure of it.

Please do let us know what you find out, I hope the vet fixes her leg right up and your little fella gets better soon:)
Yes junior used to watch TV but as he's aged he's like an elderly man that falls asleep in front of the TV.:old He does prefer lifetime movies tho :lau. He is a Texas A&M. I have another Texas quail I adopted and he's a stargazer. He was born that way and his previous owner couldn't find it in her to cull him. She sold me the other 3 quail I have and she reached out to me to adopt him when she had to move to an apartment where pets weren't allowed. I took him in and have had him ever since. He is a character I must say. :weeI have a closed flock and I do not sell or bring in new. If I get new chickens it's chicks from a broody hen I have. I do not sell eggs and I do not incubate them. I have adopted or rescued every animal I currently own. They are all loved by me and my mom and they are all characters within themselves it's never a dull moment. Thank you for the well wishes and kindness. Also I included pictures of my junior as of right now. He refused to look at the camera.

Aww...he is adorable! :love 6 years is old for a quail considering their average lifespan is 2-5 years. If this isn't an injury I agree with @Wyorp Rock he may need more vitamins. Aging bodies have a harder time absorbing nutrients. Anything could be going on inside his body at this age. Cherish every moment you have with him! :)

Just to update about peanut I went to the vet yesterday. It was the best experience ever. The vet was so informative and knowledgeable. He suspects Ms and prescribed tetracycline to be mixed into the water for 5 to 7 days. After that if there's no change or progress he wants to take a sample of the lump and run a culture to see what specifically it is and prescribe another medication. He was confident this medicine would work and take care of the issue. Due to her size he didn't want to do too much to her to soon. He said antibiotics was the way to go right now. She is eating and drinking like always and I started her on the antibiotics last night. The vet visit was reasonable priced and the antibiotic pack was just $11! I'm so glad I got her seen about! Thank you twocrows and wyorp rock!

Just to update about peanut I went to the vet yesterday. It was the best experience ever. The vet was so informative and knowledgeable. He suspects Ms and prescribed tetracycline to be mixed into the water for 5 to 7 days. After that if there's no change or progress he wants to take a sample of the lump and run a culture to see what specifically it is and prescribe another medication. He was confident this medicine would work and take care of the issue. Due to her size he didn't want to do too much to her to soon. He said antibiotics was the way to go right now. She is eating and drinking like always and I started her on the antibiotics last night. The vet visit was reasonable priced and the antibiotic pack was just $11! I'm so glad I got her seen about! Thank you twocrows and wyorp rock!

I'm glad that you were able to see the vet and your experience was positive!

Hopefully the meds will get her back on track in no time. Thank you for giving an update, I hope all goes well.

@TwoCrows @Eggcessive any ideas?

I don't know much of anything about Quail.

I know it's hard to take a photo and hold a bird at the same time - do you have a helper that can hold her so we can see the leg a bit better?

Hopefully the others will chime in, while we wait, I'm going to ask some questions:)
Does the joint feel fluid filled, hard, etc.?
What treatment(s) have you tried so far?
How old is she?
Sorry for jumping on to some one feed but I also have a quail like this it is 2 weeks old and can’t weight bear on it at all I haven’t tried anything yet help please if you can

Sorry for jumping on to some one feed but I also have a quail like this it is 2 weeks old and can’t weight bear on it at all I haven’t tried anything yet help please if you can
I'm sorry that she's not doing well.
Can you post some photos?

Last post was in 2018 and I still don't know much about Quail, but I will be happy to see if I can make any suggestions.
Do you notice any swelling of the joint? Could be a slipped tendon. I would start out with giving your baby 1/4 tablet B-Complex. Make sure she can get to food/water.

Many quail experts have already offered advice, which you immediately dismissed. Many replies have asked what you feed your quail and you haven’t given any specifics. Here is the original thread for anyone who sees your new post on this thread. It includes your photos and the many replies you received and disregarded. It isn’t fair to drag more people in to type helpful replies, when you are unwilling to accept the advice of people who have hatched and raised thousands of quail every year for many years, because your current handful of adults are fine, and you “have always done it this way”.

previous thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/poorly.1494180/page-2

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom