Lump on my ducklings neck

Carmen_kaelina

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2021
Add bookmark
•••
Can someone please tell me why there’s a lump on the side of my ducklings neck I’m a new duck owner and I’ve looked on google and it’s no help I’ll try and put pictures but I’m really scared for my duck and if you could reply asap that would be very help full I had gave it a bath and some homemade veggie juice and I looked it up before I had gave it to them and it seems to go down and it poops a lot and it lays in it often and that where I found it this morning and it went back to how it was in the beginning the pictures my sister sent me after she took them a bath because I was at work

Attachments

• E55F624E-4362-479B-B938-1AE23B4B1579.jpeg
    E55F624E-4362-479B-B938-1AE23B4B1579.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 89
The lump is the bird's crop which acts as a holding pouch for feed/water until it can be sent down further into the gastrointestinal tract to be digested.
What should I do I’ve done a lot of research on them and what they need and how much space they need I have spent 1-2k on them and they have all the need and a huge yard with a fence they can’t get through of course and a pond near by and they are fed daily I don’t know what I did wrong

What should I do I’ve done a lot of research on them and what they need and how much space they need I have spent 1-2k on them and they have all the need and a huge yard with a fence they can’t get through of course and a pond near by and they are fed daily I don’t know what I did wrong
A crop is a normal part of bird anatomy.

How is your duckling behaving? Do they have duckling friends and a heat source?

The crop is a normal feature of a bird's anatomy - no reason for concern. If there is something else you're concerned about, please do mention.

A crop is a normal part of bird anatomy.

How is your duckling behaving? Do they have duckling friends and a heat source?
Their behavior is fine they have one right now but I’m getting 20 more once they get their shipment but the one thing that’s stand out oddly to me is that when they get out the water they barely can walk and stand until their dry and I’m not quite sure if that’s normal

Their behavior is fine they have one right now but I’m getting 20 more once they get their shipment but the one thing that’s stand out oddly to me is that when they get out the water they barely can walk and stand until their dry and I’m not quite sure if that’s normal
How young are they? Is the water too cold?

How young are they? Is the water too cold?
I got them March 25 and their water that they swim in is warm most of the time but my niece likes to feed them ice cold water sometimes and I don’t know if that’s good or not because it’s just water but I had told her to quit and I have been feeding them lettuce and veggies to see if I needed to change their food products and it went away but since she’s been feeding them ice cold water it has came back

I got them March 25 and their water that they swim in is warm most of the time but my niece likes to feed them ice cold water sometimes and I don’t know if that’s good or not because it’s just water but I had told her to quit and I have been feeding them lettuce and veggies to see if I needed to change their food products and it went away but since she’s been feeding them ice cold water it has came back
If ducklings drink too much very cold water it can lower their over all body temperature and make them wobbly. We've had other BYC members this has happened to. I would let them drink only room temperature water and keep them in a warm location after bathing until they are dry.

Are you also feeding them a commercial diet for poultry?

I have told her not to and I have bought duck food but the seem to get in the bags of rice and only eat that

Back
Top Bottom