Lump on my little one

Lynka

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
Hey,

After a terrible and disappointing hatch rate of two Barred Rock babies, I have now noticed one of them has a large lump on her neck. I havent noticed it before today.
She is two weeks old tomorrow and I feel she is growing well.
This is my first time hatching and raising chickens and now I'm really worried about what could be going on.
I cant really afford to go to the vet but I dont want one of two chicks to get sick.
The lump is a bit bigger than her head and is soft enough to squish a little bit. She doesnt seem sick or unhappy about it. When I was touching it, she didnt seem to be in pain or anything.
She is in a brooder, is eating chick starter crumble. It is currently Autumn/Fall here, but my room and the box has been kept warm.
Attached is a photo- which admittedly isnt very good.
Thanks in advance. Im really worried about her now :(

Is it to the right of the center of her neck? It might be her crop. Are you only feeding chick starter? If not, you might need to offer grit to prevent the crop from being impacted. It sounds like it might already be impacted though. Hopefully others will advise on how to diagnose and best treat impacted crop in a chick.

Is it to the right of the center of her neck? It might be her crop. Are you only feeding chick starter? If not, you might need to offer grit to prevent the crop from being impacted. It sounds like it might already be impacted though. Hopefully others will advise on how to diagnose and best treat impacted crop in a chick.

Thanks for the advice. She has had some crackers as well. I've given her a little bit of grit and by morning the lump had gone down. All that worrying for nothing!

Back
Top Bottom