Lumps under Found Puppy's Skin- Input? Advice?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Okay, first things first, about a week ago we found a puppy next to our house hiding scared under the abandoned trailer. She had a collar, but no tags and no microchip. We planned to rehome her, but then our aussie chased a cat into the street and was killed. So now we plan to keep the puppy, recently named Daisy.

She appears to be a German Shepherd or an Australian Shepherd mix. She has the tan legs and cheeks and eyebrows of both of those breeds, but the black muzzle more like the GSD. Anyway, she got a flea dip and some good food and has warmed up to everyone.

I have noticed that she has lumps, one under each of her "arm pits" on the forelegs. Then another on each side her lower neck. And yet another "set" side by side on her lower stomache near her hoochycooch
tongue.png

Now, I'm thinking since they are somewhat symetrical along her body and occur in "pairs" maybe they are swollen limph nodes? But are there limph nodes in those locations? I mean, I can't imagine cancer being located so symmetrical I know the final say will come from the vet. I'm hoping it won't be something too serious, but I wanted to get an idea from people more knowledgeable on the subject.

-Kim

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your dog, and lucky for Daisy. I would take her to a vet soon, find out whats going on.
First thing I thought of was a abused dog that we had many many years ago that had lumps, 4 to be exact, they x-rayed her to find they were buck shot pellets.
It would have been more harm then good to remove them, she lived a long life.
In a way I hope that this is minor for you and Daisy. Keep us informed on what you find.
fl.gif

With all the nodes swollen you would first consider lyme disease. If it were lymphoma, the lumps would be hard, and probably not perfectly symmetric. Sometimes, especially on the jaw area, dogs can have (normal) nodes, but if they are dominant all over, lyme disease would be the first thing to consider. Lymphoma would show up more often in older dogs rather than puppies, the nodes would be firmer, and they are usually not exactly symmetric.

You will want to at least get her a parvo vaccine soon anyway. Your vet could reassure you at that point. In the meantime you might look up the symptoms of lyme disease in canines to see if that would be a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom