Lumpy food: good or bad?

RhodeIslandRed5

Songster
May 28, 2019
East Texas
Hello! I've switched my pullets over to Dumor 16% layer feed crumbles. I noticed the food is lumpy down in the bag. The date is good, but somebody told me that lumpy food wasn't too good. Advice please?
IMG_20190830_182615.jpg

They've been on this food for over a week now. I bought it in Tractor Supply, and they're known for not having good quality of their chicken stuff. My mother bought a bag of seed treat and it was full of bugs. My cousin(who has chickens) told me he returned a bag of food that was bad. The mealworms I got from there are out of date. I got a bag of cracked corn for chickens and saw a bug crawling in it. The date is good, but should I carry it back? It hasn't been opened yet.

Was the feed kept outside? I don't see mold in the lumps. Does it feel wet? If it does I'd get another bag when you return the Corn. I like Purina and Nutrena Naturewise Feeds.
My TSC has 10 lb bags of Purina Layena layer feed if you have a small flock.
Keep the feed in your house. Mine is stored in a spare room tightly closed. I use containers to keep a small amount of feed in coops. They hold close to 4 lbs of feed.
Take a picture of the bug in the corn if you can and bring back.
I buy Scratch Grains instead of corn, more variety. 20190323_063733-2.jpg . Also at TSC. GC

Attachments

• 20190210_112637.jpg
    20190210_112637.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No, it doesn't feel wet. I keep my food inside in its bag. I only have four girls so I'd rather buy in small bags to prevent food in very large bags from spoiling before used. I went with Dumor brand since it was the cheapest.

Back
Top Bottom