Lychee fruit anyone?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by erinszoo, Aug 18, 2013.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    So, my nephew came to visit a few weeks ago and brought some Lychee fruit with him for us to try. My being the gardener I am decided that I would try growing the seeds. I read up on it and was pretty well convinced it was a hopeless mission since everything said they have really poor germination rates and I only had 6 seeds. However, I was surprised and three days ago I realized I had 4 sprouts that are now 4 inches high. Since I was planning on this experiment failing (and it didn't) Now what do I do with them?? Anyone have any experience growing them? Apparently we live in the right zone to actually grow them.

2. mylittlechicken

mylittlechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2013
    Elgin, TX
    I have two Lychee Trees, but I bought them as started Trees. So I don`t know anything about germination and growing them yet, but I want to try it, when mine get fruits (should be next year).
    I would like to hear some more of your experience and let you know about mine, since I am new to this plants too.
    Are Lychees not tasting awesome? I love them.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Yes, we like lychees too. I planted 6 seeds, 3 each in two peat pots, thoroughly wet them down, placed them in a ziploc bag which I almost completely sealed, and then put them in my pantry in the dark. After ignoring them for three weeks I checked and found I had 4 of the six germinated so I moved them into the light. This week a 5th seed germinated as well. After a week under lights they are putting on leaves now.

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    My lechee tree is 3-4 feet high now. Bought it already started. It made lots of flowers( this the third year) but we had a little freeze I forgot to cover it and so unfortunately they all fell off. But I should get fruit this coming spring hopefully. I heard they are self pollinators.I have always found that when started from seed to add a couple more years before it bears fruit. Good luck with them everyone.

5. mylittlechicken

mylittlechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2013
    Elgin, TX
    My trees arrived both healthy and with a lot of leaves but after a few days they got all brown and fell off. I don`t know if the roots got damaged or they did that cause the stress of shipping. Kinda worried that they don`t make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by