M I Crooked Letter Crooked Letter...ahh, nevermind....Mississippi

Pics
Quote:
Yes. Ripley is this weekend. And yes there still is plenty of chickens. But plenty of disease ridden chickens as well. Dont get me wrong, you can find several nice and rare chickens there but you still run the risk of contracting a communicable disease to your flock. Just be careful and examine everything very closely before you buy. And I would recommend spraying down your shoes with a bleach water mix, changing clothes, and showering, as soon as you get home, before you interacting with your flock. JMO

Hi. I am from Hickory Flat, which is about 15 minutes from Ripley. I plan to go to first monday myself this weekend... I know several of the "vendors". If a hen is sick, they tend to tell me. Just be nice and ask questions... The elderly men there are particularly nice...

Quote:
I see, I think I recall someone posting a picture on another forum of a black grey called "Firedowns." You ever have any grey birds thrown, or is it likely that those were just crosses?

My bird's have been laying-laying.. It is rather early, normally they don't kick off until March but I set about 9-10 whitehackle eggs, 5-6 Shamo hennie X Grey american game hen crossed, 3 black X gilmore crosses, 3 3/4 doc 1/4 gerrard hatch, and about 3-4 Roundheads too almost a week ago.. Getting more eggs too. Been blessed this year, starting a lot better than last year.. Now I am just waiting for the Shamo hens to kick up.. One of the yard hens (1/2 Shelton roundhead 1/2 whitehackle) is already setting.. She'd be laying off of a 1/2 radio 1/2 doc robinson cock since he is the only one on tie.. Or she maybe laying off of another hatch cock that was on tie, most likely a mixture.

-Daniel

Hey DT. Here is my new web address. Pics of my games are on there. www.powellsgamefarm.webs.com check it out and let me know what you think of my Games.

Quote:
I'm not saying it's all death and disease. I'm just saying that several of the vendors buy their stock in bulk and never look at the birds close enough to determine if there is a potential problem. I do sometimes go but am very careful about what i buy and from whom. There are some vendors that i will not even get close enough to see what they have. I usually head straight to the dog yard because most of the small time backyard chicken raisers are out there. I would rather buy a healthy bird from a guy with just a few out of the back of a pickup truck, than buy a sick one from a guy with hundreds out of a gooseneck trailer. Trust me, when i was first starting, i've made those mistakes before. The best advice i can give is to go and see for yourself. But, i say again, you can find exceptional birds there.

Here is another new chicken lover in North Mississippi. I am located in Pontotoc between Tupelo and Oxford. Have beem enjoying BYC and all the imformation that is posted.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom