Macaws?

Come on rescue center needs help- he wants a bird, win-win.

Great point Fire Tigeris!
goodpost.gif

I would NOT try to hatch a parrot unless I absolutely had to! Then I would find someone more experienced. Your brother shouldn't "not care" what kind he gets... I think you should get a mini macaw.

I have hand raised a baby soft bill before, a finch, and it is not easy to say the least. Though I did not incubate the egg, the parents abandonded the baby when it was still bald. If he has no experience with birds I would recomend a conure, they aren't as likely to inflict serious bites as larger species of parrots can and will if you startle them. Also do make sure you have a good avian vet in your area before you get the bird, its always better to know where to take the bird if you need medical assistance rather than trying to find someone at the last minute. Best of luck on your quest for a new feathered friend.

I have a Severe Macaw and only had him for 5 months. Talk about commitment! I waited 3 years before I ever bought one. But now that I have him I'm glad I waited that long. Macaws are nothing like chickens. You can't just pick out the one you think is pretty then stick it in a cage. They need physical as well as mental simulation to keep them happy. AJ is out of his cage 5-7 hours daily, and he still wants more. If I'm holding him and he doesn't like what's going on, he bits. But that is very rarely. And you can't forget about buying the highest quality food, which is expensive! They chew and shread things constantly, going through hundreds of dollars worth of toys each year. One toy at the price of $20 usually lasts AJ 3 weeks. And he's a mini Macaw!

Just please make sure its what he really wants. They live very long lives, and AJ is only 1 so I'll have him my whole life. Its a huge commitment

Yep-- I sometimes make the joke that having a macaw is a LOT like having a child.. nearly as expensive, and they live at home forever! The only thing you get out of is putting them through college...
gig.gif

I would recomend a Pionus.
They aren't super loud, they aren't super nippy, and are small-to-meduim sized- most are about 10-12 inches in size.

If your brother hasn't had parrot experience before, he can't get a macaw. He will get rid of it in 3 months.

I agree with what one poster mentioned above about helping out others who have birds - whether it be a rescue center or something similar. Although it won't really give him a good feel towards the actual 'bird psychology' that will be involved from living with one, day in and day out. As far as physical maintenance daily, they can be as little work as a dog or cat. But their emotional needs are great and day to day (if not hour to hour) interaction needed is considerable and is a huge commitment.

They have mood swings if they don't get enough sleep if the TV was on too long at night - they get mad at you if you have guests come over and you have to lock them in their cage and will sometimes hold a grudge for days. My bird has to be locked up because he steals food from guests plates off the table and flies back to his perch with it. It is pee in your pants funny, but it really is bad behavior. My bird also gets fussy if he misses his evening TV time. They like routines and don't care too much for change (especially if the change involves the owner - new puppy, baby - job - new hobby).

As for considering adoption, my current bird is a 'rehomed' bird - given to me because the lady couldn't travel with him anymore since it made him pluck. Too bad he was constant plucker for awhile before he was rehomed and developed a habit out of it. To keep him from living in some sort of 'bird rescue' place where individual attention was minimal, I chose to let him live with me, baldness and all. Thankfully he has grown some feathers back in the few years he has lived with me, but his habit is a strong one we will always have to deal with for the next 20 years or so.

Someone above mentioned expense - yes, that is a big deal, and not just on toys and food. Be ready to drop several hundred dollars for a visit if a big bird gets sick, especially if he has never been into a clinic before and has no record, tests, blood work, etc.

Now not to sound discouraging by all this, because bigger birds are AWESOME and the things they do can make for a lifetime of memories. That's just my experience and I've had alot of wonderful experiences with birds over the years -
big_smile.png
Just some thoughts to keep in mind and different situations to think about.

I have had my scarlet macaw since 1999. She was my first large bird and I was unaware that scarlets are prone to be nippy. My scarlet, Grace, also must not have read that review, because she has only once in 12 years bitten me, and that was when she was at the vet's office, very traumatized, so it wasn't really her fault.

That being said, I agree with the above posters. Firstly, you can't incubate and hatch parrot eggs like chickens. If you were able to get and hatch an egg, for the first couple of weeks it means every 2 hour feedings AROUND THE CLOCK. No going to the movies, no going out to eat, no going to school/work. You are chained to the house to feed this helpless baby, and they can take months to wean.

Large birds need a MINIMUM of one hour out of their cage a day and 20 minutes one-on-one time with their owner to remain tame. Also, birds are not like dogs or cats, they are wild animals. Sooner or later you will be bitten, and it does hurt! There has never been a documented case of a macaw biting off a finger, but they can break it!

Then there is the expense. The bird itself, you can probably find from a breeder for around $1200. You can go to a bird show/swap and get a macaw cage for about $300, much cheaper than a pet store. Feed has gone sky-high over the last year or so, but for one macaw it's not too bad. Fresh fruits and veggies daily are a must. Toys to stimulate his/her mind when you are not around are important, wooden toys for shredding and other toys for just plain fun. We actually make and sell bird toys after not being able to find suitable toys for our macaws.

Lastly, the noise. Some macaws are louder than others. They like to greet the day with a few screams (which can be heard for over a mile). They have separation anxiety sometimes and if they can hear their owner but not see him/her, they sometimes start screaming/calling, just like calling the flock in the wild.

If your brother really wants a scarlet macaw and has the maturity and dependability to take care of one properly, there is no reason he shouldn't have one. If he gets a lesser bird, he will be unhappy and then there's another long-lived bird that needs to be rehomed and have it's life turned upside down. Your brother does need to do research, though, and find out all he can before he makes an 80-year committment!

Like someone in the above post said, a pionus would be well suited for you brother. I don't think that someone should be given a pet like a $1000 dollar macaw, your mother/father should make him work for it. If he wants a pet, he should get it himself to prove how much he wants it, and that he is willing to go out of his way for it.

The first post reminded me of Willy Wonka when the spoiled litttle girl had to have a golden egg laying goose, when she had all the other animals she didn't care about anymore.

I recommend for your brother to find something specific, I recommend a Pionus, Senegal, or a Caique. I like them all, and they can be colorful, and they are full of character.

I do not recommend a Macaw whatsoever. Your brother is very inexperienced with birds from what I have read.

I also don't recommend him getting an Amazon parrot of any type.

Back
Top Bottom