Macaws?

Cargbrock

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
West Tennessee
My brother has been begging and begging for a macaw (Mainly Scarlett, but he has looked at others. I don't think he really cares what kind as long as he gets one). He's been asking for a while now and my mom always tells him he can have one when he moves out (in about a year). Well, we bought a new incubator that can incubate parrot eggs. My mom told him that he may have one if he can get one to hatch and learn how to take care of it properly. I was thinking I could find some eggs for his birthday (3/29). Does anyone sell any or know where I can find some.
I'm not sure if parrots are easy to hatch, or if it's a good idea for someone to hatch them that has never done it before. (We've only ever hatched chickens). If it would be better for us to just by a juvenile or adult, I could just explain to my mom why buying one would be better than trying to hatch.
Thanks.

He shouldn't get a Scarlet. They make bad pets for most people & are more inclined to bite-hard-than the better pet species like the Blue & Gold and the Green Winged. Macaws aren't great pets in general though(imagine having a 2 year old for 80 years
barnie.gif
), unless you choose a mini macaw-they are nice. I would recommend a Jardine, African Grey or Amazon if he wants a BBF.
Now regardless of species, eggs are not the way to go. Breeders don't generally sell eggs & hatching just one egg is risky business anyway, especially if you haven't hatched parrots before. Parrot chicks are also very difficult for novices to raise the first few days after hatching. The chances of you getting a bird out of that several hundred dollar egg aren't good.
Buy a weaned young parrot from a good breeder who socializes their birds well. It's a myth that you need to handfeed the bird yourself to bond it to you. Weaning is stressful & difficult on young parrots & is best done by a breeder with other young parrots, for company & to learn to eat from watching each other
highfive.gif

Please do not get an unweaned parrot, especially a macaw. People might write their success stories but there are far more large parrots in rescues & new homes because of novices getting unweaned petshop or backyard breeder babies.

Find a breeder close by if possible & meet the bird. Higher-level parrots are intelligent creatures with individual personalities that don't click with everyone.Get a bird that is very friendly & wants to be with your brother.
thumbsup.gif
Good luck

Last edited:
Macaws live an incredibly long time. And will end up in many homes before it dies. Are you willing to leave him in your will? Rehomed birds are never happy. Large birds need an incredible amount of attention as they are extremely intelligent. They will chew up your entire house and can bite thru a 2x4. One heck of a commitment.

Macaws are not like chickens -- they are not easy to hatch and raise from eggs. The babies are naked, blind, and helpless, requiring hand-feeding every couple of hours, with times between feedings gradually increasing until they are weaned after several months. If and when a pair decide to breed, they'll lay two to four eggs (usually three) per clutch, and unless the breeder pulls the eggs, that's usually all they'll lay for the year. Any breeder willing to simply sell eggs to novices is not someone I'd consider worthy of buying from -- if any are even out there.

Everything about macaws is big -- the volume of their voices, the cages and toys they require (a cage will run several hundred dollars, and toys that they may destroy in a week or two can cost twenty to forty dollars each), their personalities, their demands, their beaks, etc. Like other parrot species, they require a lot of care, and a person wanting one as a pet will have to bend his life around being a parrot owner (keeping macaws or other parrots in an aviary setting requires less one-on-one time, but still a lot of care). If your brother is the type of person that is fine with this, a macaw can make an awesome companion for several decades. Sammy, the DYH amazon in my avatar, is my buddy. I couldn't imagine life without him. He'll turn 21 next month (I've had him since he was 7), but keeping him happy and healthy means there are some things that won't fit in my life. He gets fresh food every morning, joins me in the shower (when he wants to), and is the start and end of my every day. I'm fine with that. Will your brother be as well?

smile.png

Love the replies, well written!!

I pass out a flier with this info at every program I do with Animal Wonders that has parrot with it:

Are you thinking about a pet parrot…
Whether captured in the wild or born in captivity, parrots are not domesticated animals like cats and dogs. They are still wild animals. Their natural curiosity, sensitivity, intellect, playfulness, and ability to form bonds with humans can tempt people to keep them in captivity. Unfortunately, the traits that make parrots so intriguing are the same ones that make them extremely difficult to live with as companion animals. Many parrots find themselves displaced as their natural behaviors and needs clash with human expectations. Only people who thoroughly understand that parrots are wild animals and who can commit to meeting their demanding needs should consider providing a home for one.

If I can find the link where I pulled this info from, I'll post it. It was on a PDF for an organization, but can't locate it now. Every parrot we have at Animal Wonders are surrenders and we are not alone in the KC area, there are two organizations that specialize in surrendered parrots. Not a pet to rush into!!

Dan

Thanks... I know NOTHING about parrots.. My family has had a few caged birds, but not many.. We know a lady that runs a rescue center (in Nashville, TN, I believe.. It might be Franklin) and she has TONS of birds.. If all else fails, I can speak with her and ask what would be best suited for him to have.

I'd suggest he work a trade out with the rescue center he works enough hours no pay and gets to wave the adoption fee for any bird... that way he'll know exactly what he's getting into and he might bond with a particular bird.

However someone who's moving around is not suitable for any bird except maybe finches or diamond doves... as some places will not allow loud birds (any hook-bills) {this does not apply if he is moving into his own house of course]

My brother has been begging and begging for a macaw (Mainly Scarlett, but he has looked at others. I don't think he really cares what kind as long as he gets one). He's been asking for a while now and my mom always tells him he can have one when he moves out (in about a year). Well, we bought a new incubator that can incubate parrot eggs. My mom told him that he may have one if he can get one to hatch and learn how to take care of it properly. I was thinking I could find some eggs for his birthday (3/29). Does anyone sell any or know where I can find some.
I'm not sure if parrots are easy to hatch, or if it's a good idea for someone to hatch them that has never done it before. (We've only ever hatched chickens). If it would be better for us to just by a juvenile or adult, I could just explain to my mom why buying one would be better than trying to hatch.
Thanks.

Parrots are simply NOT like other birds(toucans, & corvids excluded). If well trained (by someone like yours truly) they are not only likely to become part of your regular day to day routine, but also part of your own hart, & family.
By all means DO NOT let your brother get a parrot on impulse! Something I see all too often is someone gets a young, energetic bird, that sits in his cage ALL DAY, and when the owner tries to get him out for the first time in a looooong time, and the bird doesn't know how to act any more. The result of this is getting a nasty bite, and having your ear drums pop from all the screaming! However, starting out with smaller, easier to handle birds and work your way up, most of the time (not all of the time) makes it easier in the long run to care for the bigger birds.

P.S.
All i rely know about hatching parrot eggs is that mama parrots are very, good at it.
tongue.png

I'd suggest he work a trade out with the rescue center he works enough hours no pay and gets to wave the adoption fee for any bird... that way he'll know exactly what he's getting into and he might bond with a particular bird.

However someone who's moving around is not suitable for any bird except maybe finches or diamond doves... as some places will not allow loud birds (any hook-bills) {this does not apply if he is moving into his own house of course]

I've moved around a lot in the almost 14 years I've had Sammy (address number 8 will come June 1st). If you're not willing to say "I have a bird -- is that allowed?" and walk away any time the answer is "No" then yes, it's not a good idea to have one. But whenever I've had to move, if I encountered someone who said "No" then I chalked it up to that landlord's loss -- of a good tenant (me). It all comes down to how much you're willing to bend your life -- not everyone is willing to bend at all, and that's fine, but it doesn't make for a successful parrot owner.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom