1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Made my own CO2 System!

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by venymae, Dec 14, 2015.

1. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    Made my own DIY CO2 system for my planted aquarium using yeast, sugar water, airtubing, and voss bottles! YES!

1 person likes this.
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Awesome.... I have had aquariums most my life but never tried a planted aquaiurm except for with sacrificial plants.

I have seen some awesome ones on YouTuibe. and I have a 110 waiting for a job. Providing I dont stock it with Tilapia.

How do you deliver it? [​IMG]

3. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    I run a airstone into a prefilter sponge, that way the bubbles stay trapped a lot longer for exchange. I have good flow on my tank so I'm not worried there. :)

4. perchie.girl

Ah... Carbon dioxide is heavier than air and you can keep it in an open bucket just put the air pump inside to deliver it to the aquarium.

You can use a plain old air filled balloon to check the CO2 level as well. It will float on top. That way you can test your CO2 production levels.

I imagine you could also do this with dry ice...[​IMG]

deb

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  5. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    I have yeast sugar slurry in one bottle, the natural co2 pressure build up forces it through the airline hose-stone-sponge. No compressor necessary: ) dry ice would burn too fast I imagine. I redo my yeast once a week. I also keep a co2 dropper to measure levels in the water so I don't gas my shrimp

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  6. perchie.girl

7. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    20[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by