Magazine Subscription Rant!

My daughter gets 17 magazine. We havent got any renewal notices this year but did last year and there was still 10 months left of the mag.
hmm.png

I also use a variant of my name on each subscription so I can see who sells lists. Ditto with catalogs.

Magazines used to print the mailing label with the actual expiration month on them, so I could see when I had to start paying attention to renewal notices. They hide them now.

What I hate even worse is when you decide that you no longer want to receive a mag, and you had used your credit card to order it. If you try to let it lapse after your subscription ends, they automatically bill your card so that it renews. In one case I had let a magazine lapse, and I had used a credit card that we were no longer using so we cancelled that account. The next thing I knew I was getting dunning notices because they had tried to use that credit card number and it was no longer valid. And when you try to call the magazine to tell them you no longer want to get the magazine you get a big runnaround.

We had gotten Mother Earth for many years and the stories and projects became so preposterous
that we just started using them as comedy magazines. In one of the stories they created a dream
garden and claimed it was one year of work and in one photo it showed a small sapling about knee
high and supposedly the next summer photo the tree was about 80ft tall from the same vantage point.

Projects like-
This couple renovated this dilapidated structure for only 500k into their dream home.

See Jay Leno's Steam powered motor shop! Make your own electricity!

Turn your 25 Acres into a windmill farm for only 1 million!

Just stuff made up and projects out of reach for the commoners.

We sent them a card upon canceling and thanked them for the years of laughs. Just more helpful advice and ideas
on the internet on different sites focusing on interests. Often I even get immediate advice on a subject.

Quote:
We do this as well. We add a bogus middle initial for each subscription. When we receive something showing one of the bogus names, we know that our info has been sold, and we choose not to do business with that company.

Back
Top Bottom