Maggots in duck food?

Breemae123

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
I went to clean it out the ducklings feeder and when I dumped it there were maggots. I clean it out once it is empty or just powder.

My duck immediately gobbled the maggots down when she saw them.

I’ve been battling flies so bad this year. It’s been awful. No matter what I do they won’t go away. We even had some ducklings die from flystrike.

1. Is it bad that they eat the maggots?
2. I’ve tried EVERYTHING I can think of to keep the flies away. I’ve bought fly traps, fly strips, I clean it out often, I have bought the powder to put down to reduce odor and I spray out the duck run a lot. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. It’s driving me crazy. I can’t go out there without flies constantly landing on me.

It has been a VERY hot summer and that’s probably why it’s so bad. I read flies can hatch in less than 8 hours if it’s 99 degrees outside. It’s been 99-103 most days.

Maggots are fine for ducks to eat. However, their presence in the feed probably means it got wet and then sat long enough for the maggots to hatch, and that's not great, since wet food quickly molds and mold is not good for ducks to be eating.

I use baited fly traps to get them, the kind that you fill with water and then the flies fly in and drown. You can kill thousands of them at once with this kind of trap before you have to empty it and rebait it.

I use this when the flies get bad:
gordons_spray_tsc_1.png
hdx-sprayers-1501hdx-64_1000.jpg

Maggots are fine for ducks to eat. However, their presence in the feed probably means it got wet and then sat long enough for the maggots to hatch, and that's not great, since wet food quickly molds and mold is not good for ducks to be eating.

I use baited fly traps to get them, the kind that you fill with water and then the flies fly in and drown. You can kill thousands of them at once with this kind of trap before you have to empty it and rebait it.
When I dumped the food out it was completely dry.

I tried one of those and it did catch a lot but

All that was left in the feeder was powder from the feed and it was comepletely dry.

I have one of those

All that was left in the feeder was powder from the duckling feed and it was completely dry.

I have one of those. It does get a lot of them but this year has been record breaking heat and the flies are the worst ever. I don’t know. Maybe I need to have 2 out there.

When I dumped the food out it was completely dry.

I tried one of those and it did catch a lot but

All that was left in the feeder was powder from the feed and it was comepletely dry.

I have one of those

All that was left in the feeder was powder from the duckling feed and it was completely dry.

I have one of those. It does get a lot of them but this year has been record breaking heat and the flies are the worst ever. I don’t know. Maybe I need to have 2 out there.
Lol! I sound like a broken record. It kept bugging out and didn’t show it all posted.

Lol! I sound like a broken record. It kept bugging out and didn’t show it all posted.

Haha, no worries!

Strange that they were in dry food, I've never had that before. But they are really bad this year.

I'd try a couple more traps and hopefully that will cut down on them.

Changing when it’s powdered doesn’t mean a lot. I changed and washed out our feeders daily when ours were little ducklings. Did you clean it daily? Those little feeders don’t breathe much.

As far as I know we don't have anything like this in our country, could you please give the name/type/make of this trap so I can search it to buy online please?

Back
Top Bottom