Magic elixir

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
I'm from south Texas where the humidity is higher than the temperature most days. So here's the question...is there a magic elixir to keep the alge from forming before my eyes ? I clean water containers(open air) every other day. I have noticed that the metal 14" ish pie pan looking water container doesn't seem to alge up ...that may be due to all the girls washing their feet and wading in it ...any advice will be GREATLY APPRECIATED

Your containers grow algae quickly because there are traces of it left behind from incomplete cleaning. Take your containers and sanitize them in a bleach solution. The bleach will kill off the algae. You may have to do a trial and error experimentation. I would take a 5 gallon pail and fill it half way. Add about 2 cups of laundry bleach. Immerse your water containers in bleach solution and let them soak a while. Take out, and rinse with clean water. and use. Use rubber gloves to protect your hands.
If your containers are somewhat larger, and bucket is not big enough?? then choose washing vessel that will work.
I personally use laundry bleach for many sanitizing projects, including when I do total clean out of my coop (about 2 x per year)
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

It's humid in the Low Country here in SC too. I use stainless steel dog bowls and it does not grow as fast but I keep a long handle scrub brush by the house and scrub them out with antibacterial dish soap a few times a week. When adding water to the bowls I make sure I completely dump out the out water and put fresh in, I have a strong hose sprayer so I make sure I spray the old water out completely before adding new water. I can't use water containment vessels for watering because it'll just turn green. I also can't use gravity feeders because the humidity causes moisture and clogs it up or molds so I just feed and water every day. But on the upside it only takes 10 mins at the most to clean and feed them not counting coop and run maintenance.

I was wondering if apple cider vinegar could help me with a similar issue. Does algae grow in low PH environments? Also I heard keeping high copper content pennies in the water can help?

I have well water and live in a very hot and sunny area. Algae is a fact of life for me. An open pan -- either heavy duty rubber or galvanized metal -- that can be brushed out and refilled daily, if not twice a day, is the only thing that I can keep algae free. The downside to this system is that the chickens like to wade in the water to keep cool and it gets very dirty, very fast, with muddy, poopy feet going in and out.

I also think some types of algae are harmless. I still have a couple of my older waterers around -- the big plastic ones with a red plastic tray on the bottom. Those things are algae factories, and the size and shape of them makes it impossible to keep them algae free. A few years ago I'm pretty much gave up dealing with the green algae inside them. I just keep the red tray part clean. The chickens are all healthy, and the water inside the container smells fresh.

I was wondering if apple cider vinegar could help me with a similar issue. Does algae grow in low PH environments? Also I heard keeping high copper content pennies in the water can help?
I'm not sure but I know water pails in the male hunting dogs pen that gets urine in it on occasion because they cock their leg, never get algae but the females do. 🤷‍♀️

In the sun waterers will grow algae, and most of it is harmless. I just rinse and refill mine, and have them in shade if possible.
Chickens are happy to drink out of puddles, and the spilled water dumped out of waterers, and don't seem to suffer at all. I'm not drinking that water!
There's nothing all that sanitary about a chicken coop!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom