Magical Egg-Laying Hens!

I've got about 60 (hard to count any more ) , so far I get one egg a day . I hope I have your problem soon .
smile.png

As far as reproductive issues, do a search around BYC for "egg-bound." That's one of the issues you might need to look out for.

Those are some of the prettiest red hens I have ever seen; their combs are almost a strawberry color.
smile.png

They are just wonderful little creatures! I have six birds and 4 days out of a week I get 6 eggs. The other 3 days I get 5 eggs! Never any less...never any more!

Mine like to sit on them too. I just went out and poop scooped, added some DE and some fresh shavings (doing deep litter for winter). So..two girls were in a nesting box sitting on 4 eggs. I took the eggs out and oh my god..you sould of heard one of them. She was sreaming at me! It was so loud it hurt my ears in the little coop!! The other one was just as content to tuck the golf balls under her and sit on them.

i complained about those Reds at one point, as they are absolute heathens when i go out with treats, crashing into each other and everything goes flying. But they are also very curious, they follow my every step, and they are really gorgeous. No one has gone broody yet. They just plop out the eggs and hop off. i would highly recommend them to anyone.

By the way, i just went out and counted 6 big brown eggs, all laid in the same nest. i'm going to leave them there and go back out around 1pm and see if anymore show up.

airheart, do you have any other chickens or just the reds? I'm wondering how they treat more docile breeds...

I'm already planning to add a couple more girls to my flock (my hubby thinks I'm nuts but I can't help it, its an addiction) and want to make sure I don't get anything that will beat up on my EEs and Aus.

crazy hen quartet - i do have other chickens. All my bantams are housed separately. i have one EE hen in with the Reds. i used to have another EE hen, but had to rehome her and that is a long story. i waited too long to integrate my two older EEs in with my Reds, and they were absolutely brutal to one of them. Penny held her own, but Grace was getting mobbed constantly. Then when i tried to pull both EEs out, thinking i would just keep them separate, Grace brutally attacked Penny (probably out of frustration from being the Red's punching bag). i had to rehome Grace as i could not let Penny get attacked so ferociously. Penny is doing fine now with them. Although i do see her having to prove her superiority on occasion.

Because all the Reds grew up together, they have become like pack animals. But i would think that if you were to introduce one or two to an existing flock, it would be different. Out of the Reds, i can see a pecking order. Big Rita is the queen, then there are two others that are more aggressive, the other three are more timid. But they all become a swirling mass of red when i enter the coop.

Anyhow, get your Red Stars young and introduce them when they still a bit unsure of themselves, and you should be fine.

Okay, my hens are making me a liar. Got 6 eggs total yesterday. They were nice big brown eggs, but only six. Perhaps the spare eggs are a fluke . . . something that happens every once in a great while. But i will try to keep good track now.

Alagaray-
welcome-byc.gif
You have 60 at what age? and what kinds!! I have 14 hens and 2 roos and get about 6-8 a day! That's a huge improvement over the 1 every other day that i was getting in november! Good luck and be patient!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom