Magpie Ducks

I have been reading up on how to trap a fox. In the meantime, I have one of our golden retrievers on night watch outside!

I hope u get it! I dont like to them. They r good for the environment. I've be altering the outside house/pen that I got for my ducks. It was originally for rabbits. I was almost done & did a trial run yday & realized it needed more work. Hopefully I can put my 3 in 2moro! I've been extra cautious w/ security bc we have a mating pair of fox in our area :(.

A friend went to western NY and go them from a place there. I guess they breed some birds and then order others. I guess they ordered them from some hatchery. My friend for got to ask where they got them. If I knew that dh wouldn't be mad, I would have gotten many more!

Lol!! Maybe I'll get lucky & get a/another female 1 day. Mack keeps us guessing. I hope it's a female :)!!

I have a crested magpie and like the others have said she's much more calm than my runner mix. When I come up to her she stops and squats down and lets me pet her, instead of running away like her buddy. She doesn't even quack unless something is really wrong. I'm not sure who's laying eggs in my yard but whoever it is does it almost every day!
Your duck is adorable!

My flock is almost a year old. When should I expect one to go broody? We've not had much success w hatch rate in an incubator.

This is Zuzu. The feed store said she was a Magpie. She came with the order or magpies anyway. She is the funniest and most energetic duck I have raised so far.

We live on a lake in the South. We had two sets of breeding Magpie pairs who laid nests in the bushes under our kitchen window. To make a long story short, both hens were killed this week by a fox whom I caught red handed at 5:30am. I have brought one nest inside with the remaining 17 eggs. I have recreated the nest, covered it with a damp paper towel, and have placed a heating pad on low on top. I've been told that I should mark the eggs and turn them three times a day. My hen committed to the nest on April 12, so I think I still have until May 17 based on the incubation history of my original hen two years ago. Any advice? I am a true novice! I still have the two drakes swimming around in the lake. A mallard has been trying to infiltrate the original group of four, and now that the hens are gone, one drake has taken up with the mallard leaving my original drake solo. Duck social behavior is amazing!

Did the babies hatch?! Where are you from in the south?

Back
Top Bottom