Magpie Ducks

Sorry just noticed that question was for me lol I'm a little blonde sometimes
1f602.png
I got em from the TS in Texarkana

I got my new babies today! One looks like it is going to be crested (bottom) and they don't have the best coloring, but I'm happy.

Man I should have gotten more, but I'm sure DH would have filed for divorce.

We live on a lake in the South. We had two sets of breeding Magpie pairs who laid nests in the bushes under our kitchen window. To make a long story short, both hens were killed this week by a fox whom I caught red handed at 5:30am. I have brought one nest inside with the remaining 17 eggs. I have recreated the nest, covered it with a damp paper towel, and have placed a heating pad on low on top. I've been told that I should mark the eggs and turn them three times a day. My hen committed to the nest on April 12, so I think I still have until May 17 based on the incubation history of my original hen two years ago. Any advice? I am a true novice! I still have the two drakes swimming around in the lake. A mallard has been trying to infiltrate the original group of four, and now that the hens are gone, one drake has taken up with the mallard leaving my original drake solo. Duck social behavior is amazing!

We live on a lake in the South. We had two sets of breeding Magpie pairs who laid nests in the bushes under our kitchen window. To make a long story short, both hens were killed this week by a fox whom I caught red handed at 5:30am. I have brought one nest inside with the remaining 17 eggs. I have recreated the nest, covered it with a damp paper towel, and have placed a heating pad on low on top. I've been told that I should mark the eggs and turn them three times a day. My hen committed to the nest on April 12, so I think I still have until May 17 based on the incubation history of my original hen two years ago. Any advice? I am a true novice! I still have the two drakes swimming around in the lake. A mallard has been trying to infiltrate the original group of four, and now that the hens are gone, one drake has taken up with the mallard leaving my original drake solo. Duck social behavior is amazing!

So sorry for ur loss. Did u get that fox?!? U cld use 1 of ur lost momma's to trap that fox!!

Back
Top Bottom