Magpie Ducks

Hello all magpie owners and breeders out there!! I have and love magpies! I currently own 2 pure breeds and a cross breed. I am looking to expand my stock! If you own nice quality magpies and would be willing to sell fertile hatching eggs next year, or this year if your girls are still laying, please pm me!!! Looking for all colours: Brown, Blue, Black, Dun, Silver and even Stanbridge Whites. I am also looking for birds with green egg laying gene! It is so hard to find nice quality birds so if any of you are on here or know anyone who does have some please contact me!!

What color eggs do magpies lay? And how often do they lay?

Magpies lay large green-white eggs. Some birds have a green egg laying gene and some don't. My girl and past girls would lay 5-7 eggs a week and their eggs would be just as big if not bigger than my muscovy duck eggs! And that's pretty big! First big egg I got from my girl I thought was a small goose egg! Lol! Hope this helps!

Hello all magpie owners and breeders out there!! I have and love magpies! I currently own 2 pure breeds and a cross breed. I am looking to expand my stock! If you own nice quality magpies and would be willing to sell fertile hatching eggs next year, or this year if your girls are still laying, please pm me!!! Looking for all colours: Brown, Blue, Black, Dun, Silver and even Stanbridge Whites. I am also looking for birds with green egg laying gene! It is so hard to find nice quality birds so if any of you are on here or know anyone who does have some please contact me!!

I thought Magpies only8 came in balckor blue. What is Stanbridge white? Is this a British designation?

Walt

I thought Magpies only8 came in balckor blue. What is Stanbridge white? Is this a British designation?

Walt
In all the research that I have found I have only seen that they came in Black, Blue and Dunn. I would love to see pictures of the others. I have some black and my Blue the older he gets he turns more dunn! Can't wait to hatch some babies out!!!

Walt

In all the research that I have found I have only seen that they came in Black, Blue and Dunn. I would love to see pictures of the others. I have some black and my Blue the older he gets he turns more dunn! Can't wait to hatch some babies out!!!

Hello LuvMyChicks and fowlman,

They come in a few different colours, but other than black and blue the other colours are pretty rare. I think its a colour dilution gene, like in other breeds, that causes these other colours. Don't quote me on that one though!!
Stanbridge Whites are pure white magpie sports. they are same as a magpie but with absolutely no colour and will produce pure white offspring if bred white to white. I don't know if breeding a Stanbridge to a magpie would result in coloured offspring or not.
Because they breed true to colour they were given a different name. if you look up Stanbridge white ducks you can get the whole history of them! I believe there is at least one thread on here about Stanbridge whites too.

And if you look up brown magpies you will find some pics of them. Dunn and Silver are the same colour, some people just refer to it differently.

My favorite duck ever is a random Crested Magpie drake I ended up with this year. He is the smartest, a good guardian, and a character. I am only ordering (non crested) Magpies next season. I get all my laying hens and ducks through my farmers coop, whom uses ideal. It looks like I can order all females next spring, but I would love to connect with small breeders, especially if any of you are near East TN, Western NC, or Southern MI or NE Ohio for that matter. I am not above asking my family to pick up stock for me. ;)

I am sad to report that a starving dog was found eating my only magpie, Malcolm, this evening. He was by far the smartest and most wonderful of all of my ducks. I still plan to get Magpies in the spring. I am just sad that they will be missing out on their mentor.

Does anyone have some happier Magpie news or pictures to share?

Back
Top Bottom