Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

lau.gif

I just thought of another invention.

The pop-up ad to the right of the forum was regarding a site on problems with bedbugs.

Maybe someone should start a business of bantam housechickens as bedbug eradicators. Those would be some happy chickens!

lau.gif

Deb

SCG: Seed tape for carrots? Do tell...

Arielle: We have been sucked into the world of beeKeeping as well. Our first nuc is supposed to come at the end of March so I'm thinking.... Um yeah, where is it?, right?

And I would really welcome any EMU hatching advice. Anyone with EMU hatching experience, can you PM me? So far, I've got the temp at 97, I understand it's 55 to 60 days till hatch and I ordered an egg scale so that I can start weighing it to determine if I'm getting the humidity right. I did not modify the LG as the egg did fit in on it's side and I couldn't find directions to do so.... And then started to wonder how long can this thing sit on my counter? So I just stuck it in. But seriously, what are the chances that it's going to hatch?, because we are going to NEED a fence and quick, if it does. I know I'm terrible, but I am secretly hoping that it might not hatch... Because oh my Goodness what in the world am I going to do with an EMU??

Still can not post pics. :(

Ok

SCG: Seed tape for carrots? Do tell...

Carrot (and other) seeds that are small are hard to plant. I get frustrated trying to thin them once they start to sprout. So instead of trying to throw seeds in your furrow and hope they're somewhat even you do seed tape to make sure they're even - less thinning.

I cut strips of paper towels (I cut them thinner on the second batch, it planted much better but I don't have a picture) and make sure they're 1 ply not 2 ply (separate if necessary) then use your "glue" on the paper towel at the suggested seed spacing interval, and put a seed on top. Let dry, and now you have seed tape. Plant the whole thing in your row.

To get the glue it's about 1/2 cup of flour to 1/4 cup of water. Add more water until it's easy to work with. I used toothpicks to spread the glue.

Blarneyeggs, try PM'ing Kathy. She just hatched two. Or you could PM The Sherriff. She has hatched some emus out.
Ohhhhhhhh I am tired. Decided today was spring cleaning day for the big coop and I have been needing to add roosting space because the silly chickens are cramming themselves into one of my smaller coops (I have no idea why) but I will be taking the smaller one away from them when these chicks that hatch are ready for outside. I know it will upset the turkeys too since they like to roost on top of the coop. Oh well. I think I did a pretty good job building the roosts from just an idea in my head. It just took longer than I thought it was going to. But now all coops are clean, roosts are done, animal food shopping is accomplished and put away. I was planning on running out to Riverton, which has the closest feed store that carries flax seed. Good thing I called first (it is about an hour away, like everything else in Utah) since they were out. They are out of it alot.
roll.png

WOOHOO!!!!

Its time to announce a winner for....

1. CayuseRanch's
poussinoeuf.gif
Total Number of Eggs Set Contest
This contest is open to all participants to guess the total number of eggs that will be set by all participants in Mahonri's 3rd Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long! Each participant is to fill out the spreadsheet with their guess as to the total number of eggs that participants will be placing in their incubators for this hatch. All "guesses" must be submitted no later than Midnight EST, Sunday March 11th. Please submit your total number of eggs set to the spreadsheet by Midnight EST Tuesday, March 20th so we can tally up what was set and declare a winner. The person who comes closest to guessing the total number without going over will win a beautiful rooster egg basket.

Drum Roll Please.........

images

With a guess of 11,000 the winner is JEH1984
Total number of eggs set was 11,187!
Congratulations JEH1984, you will receive a PM Shortly!

Back
Top Bottom