Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

Quote:
Good grief, Germaine, he's a MESS ! ! ! You had better take over for him!

ME!!?? I already have bags under my eyes from all the hatching I have been doing. I would think it would get easier, and maybe just a little but I still blind the poor chicks with my flashlight every two seconds!

He's gonna be fine, he just needs to see that first pip... Muuuahahahaha and then see if he sleeps!

Well, since I usually stay up half the night anyway .... I will stand watch ........... until you get here!
gig.gif

Quote:
Good grief, Germaine, he's a MESS ! ! ! You had better take over for him!

ME!!?? I already have bags under my eyes from all the hatching I have been doing. I would think it would get easier, and maybe just a little but I still blind the poor chicks with my flashlight every two seconds!

He's gonna be fine, he just needs to see that first pip... Muuuahahahaha and then see if he sleeps!

Well, we do our triennial deep cleaning at the office on New Years Eve Morning, So I pack up the family with windex, sponges, muratic acid for the outside windows, paintbrushes etc... and we spend a couple of hours at the office tomorrow morning putting wood polish where it needs it washing and cleaning EVERYTHING etc.. We start at 7 and hopefully I'm home by 10AM tomorrow morning...

I think we'll leave at least one of the older kids here with the two youngest to watch the bators.

Time to take a chill pill.

... or something.. I gotta get some sleep.

Quote:
What is the breed of that little cutie?

LBLH, SS???

Inquiring minds want to know!

OK- that little cutie is F2 (maybe F3) of the Aloha chickens breeding project. It is the offspring of Patchwork

36979_img_2665.jpg

and my Speckled sussex/Exchequer Leghorn mixes. Either Dottie or Spottie. I can't tell them apart.

36979_img_2750.jpg

It sure has been quite the hatching marathon around here! Some of you guys must just be exhausted! I know how stressed and tired I am after just 1 hatch!

So hang in there. Best of luck to everyone for happy hatches and lots of healthy little fuzzy butts! I'll be watching
jumpy.gif

I had to toss one of my five Light Sussex eggs tonight. It had been looking really weird with a huge aircell but there was movement. Well tonight when I shined the flashlight to look into the Brinsea I noticed that the shell was dark and discolored everywhere but where the aircell was. I took it out and looked at it thru the flashlight and could see that it was dead and the aircell was completely detached all the way around. There was a small chick inside not fully developed and the aircell was free-floating in blood tinged liquid. So I now have four that might hatch. Day 21 is at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. I am glad I noticed the discoloration because I think this egg was on it's way to being a stinky exploder, especially if I gave it a few extra days in the incubator.

So 10 shipped eggs for $55 and I am down to a possible four chicks, if I am very, very, lucky.
th.gif
Like I said, they all have the weird huge aircells with a "U" shaped sag on one side. I'll be happy if I get one.
smile.png
Wait, no I won't.
sad.png
Lone chicks are a pain in the neck.
hmm.png
I'll be happy if I get two and they like each other.
fl.gif

Mary

p.s. I had to throw out one of my beautiful blue eggs last night. When I moved them to the Hovabator to incubate while the Sussex are on lockdown in the Brinsea, I noticed it had been weeping. There were spots of dried egg on the shell and on the green egg next to it. I kept the green one but discarded the blue one, which is the one I really wanted!
hit.gif
I still have one left. These eggs are due to hatch on January 11th.

p.s.s I would feel a whole lot better if someone would bring me that little duck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
On the bottom of our windows in the atrium, the sprinklers hit the windows and so there is a LOT of calcium deposit buildup (real hard water here).

The muratic acid mixed with HOT water and with a rough sponge knocks it right off, and then you use windex and paper towels to shine and dry.

You have to wear gloves.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom