Mail Order Chicks Dying!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Chickeneer, Jan 5, 2013.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

So we went to go pick up the chicks from the post office today, and when i opened the box, 6 were dead. I ordered 25 chicks from Meyer Hatchery, and got 2 extras. So out of 27, I have 21 and a few more chicks don't look so good.

What can I do to help them? I have them inside in a plastic bin with their heat lamp and food and water. i dipped all their beaks in the water, so they drank a little bit. This is my first time ever ordering from a hatchery, and the chicks are in terrible shape. A couple are bearly clinging to life, and just lay limp. The rest stand around with their eyes closed and cheep loudly.

I have raised chicks for many years, but I always hatch my own or buy from the feed store, they are always lively and attentive. These look slow and kind of sick, and I have no idea what i can do to help them. Suggestions anyone??!!

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Sounds like you have it covered. I would make sure the heat lamp is low for a bit, if it was cold that got to them. You also may want to cook some eggs yolks chop them up and let them eat for a little boost. Raw ACV or poultry vitamins in their water if you have any.

Not sure what it is but I had some chicks that got cold a few weeks back --4 looked dead but I saw just a twitch in their legs. Needless to say 3 made it after some time exposed to heat from my incubator I had going for the NYD Hatch.

Hope all goes well.

3. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Meyer probably has a policy to replace DOA chicks. You should look it up on their website and look for the small print.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    sugar water or save-a-chik may help. Sounds like it may be due to cold. Did they arrive on time? Contact the hatchery, all of the big ones have guarantees.

5. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    They have a great guarantee. Report dead ones 48 hrs after arrival, they will help you with the ones that died with descriptions and they will ship out new replacements when you want them and pay for the shipping to your house. Great guarantee to me.

6. The Chickeneer

Out of 27 only 8 are alive right now. I am so upset, I did my best to keep them alive, paid 65 buck for 8 chicks [​IMG]. I read their 100% live upon arrival guarantee, and the one about contacting within 48 hours. I called them, they were closed, so I wrote them a long email. Im never ordering from them again.

But the 8 that are alive, are still pretty bad, they are getting better, thanks for the advice everyone.

They did arrive on time. They were all just the sorriest excuses for chicks I have ever laid eyes on, they were dying machines.

7. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I've read enough horror stories on here to want to NEVER order from Meyer. I ordered my chicks from McMurray and had a GREAT first-time experience. Ordered 25, received 26 + Mystery Chick October 23. All lived and were very healthy. The 9 I kept are still going strong today.

I am so sorry for your loss. What a crushing blow!

8. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    How far did they have to travel? I've never ordered from a hatchery but did plan to this year. Meyer has bigger choice of what I'm wanting than mcmurray. I've been warned to have hatchery deliver to (and then drive myself) 45 miles away to bigger city for pick up because some ppl here said most chicks are dead b4 they get to my closest po. Asked the po and of course they said most chicks arrive alive. ???

9. The Chickeneer

Another one died today, so now I have seven left...[​IMG]I would rather get a refund than another order of chicks. I wouldn't want more chicks top go through what these did. Im sticking to buying them from feed stores and hatching them myself.

Well, Meyer is in Ohio and I am in California. Since you are near the Appalachian Mts. I think it would work out better for you because you are closer

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Its not always the hatcheries fault, sometimes its the USPS fault. THey might have been kept cold too long or handled rough

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by