Mail Order Chicks Dying!!

I ordered 25 Sebright chicks from Murray McMurray for a March delivery. I had received many orders previously with only a few chicks that didn't make it but this order of 25 were all dead. It was very emotional and I vowed never to order chicks so early again! I now place my orders to be delivered for April and May. So sorry for the loss of most of your chicks. Since I tended to place repeat orders I always got the credit on my account.

The seven that are alive seem better, still slugish though. I still cant believe 20 died. They seem to be eating and drinking alright, I put some ACV in the water. For whomever asked, there was not a heat pack in the shipping box, is it something you ask them for or do they put it in automatically? I ordered a brown egg laying assortment, and all the survivors look of the same breed, must be a tough breed. They are black with a white spot on their head. Barred Rock maybe?

Meyer replied to my e-mail, they said to call them back tomorrow and said "we can issue a credit on your account with us for any future order, OR we can refund your credit card, OR we can reship at no charge if/when available."

I am trying to consider all the options, what does the one about issuing a credit to my account mean? And for the people who have gotten this, which is best? I feel that since i paid for 25 chicks, I should get them, but i wouldn't want get a reshipment and put those chicks through what these went through.
I would wait until march /april and then have them shipped again. This way chances are better that they wont have to suffer in cold weather. With 25 chicks you usually have to ask for a heat pack.

January shipping of chicks is just flat out, potentially deadly. The feed stores in northern areas, do not order nor sell chicks this time of year. Many hatcheries just shut down from November to February. There is a reason. It's winter.

January means chicks will be transported in trucks in near zero weather.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Tell them you want to replace those chicks and have them shipped out in April/May and make sure they will pay for the shipping. They probably will, If you tell them to issue a credit the next chicks you reorder you will have to pay for shipping.

Three more died. I only have four left now....but these four seem lively and hopefully won't die. I called Meyer today, they were nice, and were sorry for my losses. They said they could actually ship me an order today, I rejected the idea right away, I don't want them all dying again. So we decided on getting them shipped March 25. The shipping is free too, so thats good. But now I only have four chicks, and they are still so small for being week olds.

I ordered a flock of Buff Orpington Pullets from Meyer Hatchery 2 years ago. I called the local Post Office to pick them up 2 days after shipping and they were still 2 hours away setting in a truck out in the cold. The USPS wanted me to make the 2 hour trip to pick them up and I explained to them that I paid to have those chicks delivered to them and I wasn't going to do it. They sent a truck to pick up the chicks and I then went to our local post office to pick them up. They were on the road for 3 days instead of the normal 2 days and out of 50 chicks, I lost 18. I called Meyer and they were willing to send me new ones or give me a credit. I just used my credit when I ordered my new flock due to come the 17th of January. It was exceptionally cold that year with temps below zero at night. I don't like going to the local TSC because they don't know what kind of chickens they are and you don't know what sex you are getting. I wanted all pullets, so I order them. Meyer has always been good to me and I don't question their care of the chicks. You have to remember those chicks are left in a cold truck for hours at a time. If yours were flown in they are in the cargo hold which is very cold also. USPS doesn't take good care of chicks or fertile eggs in my opinion. They just don't care because you can't insure them, so there is no way of making the USPS accountable. My losses weren't because of Meyer Hatchery, they were because of USPS. I was glad Meyer was kind enough to give me a credit for all losses.

I know exactly how you feel - I learned the hard way ( and so did all the poor little chicks who didn't make it! ) of the hazards and problems associated with trying to order and raise chicks in cold weather. I live in the north GA mountains and ordered from Meyer - 50 pullets 'Rainbow Egg Laying All Pullet Pack'
and the post office took three full days to get them from Ohio to my post office. When I picked them up all but three of the 54 ( they always send extras )
were DOA.

It was heartbreaking to say the least as well as frustrating. I've always had very good experiences with Meyer - got our original flock of Barred Rocks
from them and are still hatching out their progeny. The dead chicks would have been so adorable - so sad.

Since you live so far from Meyer that could be a factor in the death of most of the chicks. Next year, if I order the pullet pack from Meyer again I will
do so for their arrival no later than mid-September because it is too cold for baby chicks to be shipped that far and survive - JMHO.

Meyer does have a 'live' guarantee if you call within 48 hours they will replace the birds. You could also arrange to have them shipped when the weather
is warmer.

It is extremely stressful for the little chicks - even in good conditions but with the cold and distance it isn't really a surprise our birds didn't fare so well.

My second batch Meyer replaced the originals did better - PO got them to me in two days vs. 3 and that made all the difference. My pullets are
7 weeks old and doing beautifully.

In fact, I'm so pleased with the breeds they sent that I ordered another 25 plus 4 wellie babies for mid march arrival when it hopefully won't be as cold
and stressful for them to make the trip.

Out of 27 only 8 are alive right now. I am so upset, I did my best to keep them alive, paid 65 buck for 8 chicks
somad.gif
. I read their 100% live upon arrival guarantee, and the one about contacting within 48 hours. I called them, they were closed, so I wrote them a long email. Im never ordering from them again.

But the 8 that are alive, are still pretty bad, they are getting better, thanks for the advice everyone.

They did arrive on time. They were all just the sorriest excuses for chicks I have ever laid eyes on, they were dying machines.

Out of 27 only 8 are alive right now. I am so upset, I did my best to keep them alive, paid 65 buck for 8 chicks
somad.gif
. I read their 100% live upon arrival guarantee, and the one about contacting within 48 hours. I called them, they were closed, so I wrote them a long email. Im never ordering from them again.

But the 8 that are alive, are still pretty bad, they are getting better, thanks for the advice everyone.

They did arrive on time. They were all just the sorriest excuses for chicks I have ever laid eyes on, they were dying machines.

Its not always the hatcheries fault, sometimes its the USPS fault. THey might have been kept cold too long or handled rough
I just recently ordered 20 chicks from Meyer, 2 were DOA, and same thing happened...slowly they have all died. 6 days later I have 2 chicks left and they don't look all that great, all the while another shipment of chicks I received the same day are all alive,well and flourishing. Me and my children are devastated, over $100. in chicks just wasted.

Back
Top Bottom