Maine

Quick question to everyone here in Maine. I have a broody silkie hen, do you guys think it is too cold for her to hatch out any eggs? I can do it inside in the incubator but I'd rather let her do it. I can put a little extra heat in the coop for her. And the outside is covered in plastic. What do you guys think, it has been pretty cold....
My Sizzle went broody last Dec. I left her in the coop but I did give a little bit of heat because it was my first hatch (her 3rd). I was a nervous wreck until those chicks hatched.
6uju9uba.jpg
Here you go, the t-joint you see is super important because it allows the hose to drain completely in both directions. To the left is the hose we use to fill the heated waterers, and to the right is the hose going back to the house. There's another t-joint at the spigot to allow the water to drain from the hose. Then there's another t-joint in the basement that allows the water to drain out of the spigot into a bucket so that there's absolutely no water left in the system anywhere after it's turned off. He has the hose running on boards all the way back to the house so there aren't any dips. He had it tied to stakes at a slope, but just those tiny dips would allow the water to pool up and freeze. This is going to make the winter so much easier. We have 5 adult pigs that we breed and are expecting approximately 20 piglets in February, so it would be a lot of water to lug.
Love it!! How clever!! Kudos DH!
I do know someone with Doms. I just don't know if she has a roo or not. I'll find out.

Please do let us know! It would be great to be able to pick up some eggs if she's anywhere within a reasonable drive.
Will do!

I can't believe I am saying this but:
What a lovely little Showgirl!

Bulb burned out in the tin warmer for our little cochins. Poor things. The geese are dipping their heads in the water and in minutes they have icicles. We are moving some of the breeding ducks into the barn this weekend. I should have done it last but we had some family issues. All these one legged birds are pathetic and I still have one trying to get over molting. Fool bird. She is often hiding somewhere outside instead of in. This is why we eat them.

I have four broody silkies and have been trying to break them for 6 weeks.Its to cold for me to deal with because I have to keep their water from freezing.The mothers would do a good job keeping the babies warm but I just don`t want to deal with it in the winter,I worry to much I guess

I just started rasing the showgirls, I love them but not to many people think that way.Some say they look like ostrich,others dinosours and other just laugh at them.I llike them

Don't be discouraged if your traps show up empty for a bit. Foxes are infinitely smarter than we humans like to give them credit for. In the rare event you get a chance to see one of the buggers, it's usually when they are ducking into the woods out of sight and you realize it's a fox because you saw the tail.

Also, come up with a plan of what you intend to do with the fox if you are to catch it. Although they aren't incredibly dangerous to an armed human, there's no need having one sit in a trap for 12 hours while you wait for an ACO to show up. Either have the .22 ready, or perhaps let the ACO know ahead of time you'll be needing fox disposal!

Cheers

My husband has a trapping license, as does my son. One of them will dispose of the animal, and be more than happy to sell the hide in the spring. We've been checking the traps daily.

Nice watering system ggarrett!

I'm hoping the poor molting chickens will make it through this cold stretch. I know birds are tough, but some decent feathers would be helpful. I have two pullets (born in March, I think) that have weird pin feathers all over the back of their necks. I don't know if it is some kind of mini-molt, mating damage, a mite symptom, or what. Maybe now that the weekend is here, I'll have a chance to check them out more carefully.

Even though I hate sub-zero temperatures, I am excited about the upcoming storm. I'm eager to get out in the woods and snowshoe or cross-country ski.

CMBF meeting for tomorrow is cancelled.

I suppose we are almost ready for the snow. I was out in the early moon light picking up the last of things. It was nice. Inside by the stove was nicer.

Who's thinking of hatching in January?

wanted to let everyone know there will be a new swap location in the spring. tractor supply in Thomaston maine . looking like a 2nd Saturday of the month swap. hope to see a lot of you there.
So exciting to finally have a swap happening near me! I would love to hear more details on how swaps work since I've never been able to attend one before, but I'll definitely have birds to bring in the spring.

Just peeking in before work. Speaking of...I am not sure if I am going to be able to get there this morning! I only work 6 miles from my house but right now there is a clear foot and a half of snow out there. Perhaps more. Eak!

I got a heated water base this year. I got is cheap on craigslist and I have to recomend it to anyone who is toying with the idea. Only once has there been a thin layer of ice on the water in the morning. I put it on some bricks right on the coop floor. Lucky for me the chickens have no been kicking shavings into it. So far they seem warm and cozy out in the coop. We, on the other hand, are going to run out of wood early this year. I hate reverting to using oil heat!

Back
Top Bottom