Maine

i know this was a bit back in the posts but something that works for frozen poop is exactly what I use for frozen waterers too- the tire punch tool that comes in a tire repair kit. If you hit it at an angle towards the bottom of the pile it pops right up. I use sawdust under roosts but if it gets too low the poo will freeze to the bottom. Of course I'm just plain country so a quick swipe across the coverall pant leg to clean the tire punch and you're ready for the next coop waterer;-) Hey, the poo is frozen so what's gonna stick? Lol

I homeschooled at one time. Kids are begging me to homeschool again but dh insists that they need to go to school to learn to be around others (not much of that at our house) and that I 'need time to myself'. I think that's code for 'time to cut grass, weedeat, clean house, tend animals, blah blah blah':) I'm happier when they're home because I don't have to worry yet I know they'll have to get out there and be exposed to things one day anyhow. Besides, them folks at the schools know me when I go in- I take no crap and my kids know not too either. Be respectful, mind your manners but know the line that other adults don't cross. In this day you have to watch how others treat your children when they think you don't know.

If anyone is in WAY northern Maine (like Caribou, Fort Kent), my mom may have a flock of chickens to get rid of. I can't recall how many there are...maybe 18. She's getting about 10 eggs a day from them. She never really has enjoyed having them, and my father isn't exactly helpful when tending them. I told her today to see if she can sell them on Uncle Henry's or the Swap by Sell guide, but I don't know if she will. It's just talk right now, but gosh, she's been complaining about those chickens for months.

And, she has tons of eggs for sale, if anyone up there wants some.

First Olive Egg here! I have been after a real green egg for two years. A bird I really thought might be a cockerel has squatted and now laid a nice olive egg. Its been one of the few pleasant surprises this winter. Marans are laying now too, good sizes and acceptably dark. Father Christmas didn't get me any good surprises this year. Maybe Mother Nature is who I need to start writing letters to. Green egg please? Check. Warmer temps please? ...

First Olive Egg here!  I have been after a real green egg for two years.  A bird I really thought might be a cockerel has squatted and now laid a nice olive egg.  Its been one of the few pleasant surprises this winter.  Marans are laying now too, good sizes and acceptably dark.  Father Christmas didn't get me any good surprises this year.  Maybe Mother Nature is who I need to start writing letters to.  Green egg please?  Check.  Warmer temps please?  ...  

Woohoo! Congrats!

Thanks Bucka. It isn't the color yours were [yours were so interesting and large] but its a nice dark olive. There's no debate about it being green. Speaking of green.... did anyone else but me admire the new Heritage Canning jars in blue and green from Ball??

Is anyone incubating right now? The temperature flux and severity of cold temps has kept me from daring to. I have people asking me when I'll have chicks but I am still worried about power outages and frozen water.

Back
Top Bottom