Maine

So cute, What kind of chicken are they.
Mind you today was sunny and warm. So took a pair out in the grass to take some pics.

In the late morning/early afternoon after the morning chill is gone I'll unplug the heat lamp. My broody won't be on her chicks most of the day after morning chill/fog is gone so I follow her example. In the evening when ot cools off I plug the lamp up again. Sometimes the chicks cheep a bit at first because they are usedto the brightness even from a red bulb. No one crowds up though. I wish you luck this year.

I'm using the Sunbeam Xpress Heat heating pad, and couldn't be happier with it. It has an auto on feature, where most heating pads now have a 2 hour safety shut off. It also has multiple settings. Check out Blooie's Mama Heating Pad thread. Never have to worry about an overheated chick again, and can brood them outdoors in all temps. I believe it's cheaper than the Brinsea Ecoglow, and more versatile.

My final hatch for the year is over. (I think) 22 hatched, 2 were assisted. One egglet appears to be dead. Before lock down, I eliminated 1 clear, 1 mid-term quitter, 1 stinker. Excellent color range with these chicks, my best hatch ever.

That's awesome, I don't think I'd have the patience to hatch my own eggs
My final hatch for the year is over.  (I think)  22 hatched, 2 were assisted.  One egglet appears to be dead.  Before lock down, I eliminated 1 clear, 1 mid-term quitter, 1 stinker.  Excellent color range with these chicks, my best hatch ever.

Back
Top Bottom