Maine

Had to share my latest project--raised bed made from pallets.

She's so helpful!

Good job obn the raised bed! Odd box looks like a pure and beautiful heritage RIR. He has a good looking meat body to him. I was reading a bit on heritage and rose comb RIRs last year and thought it was quite interesting- it seems as they got bred into the production RIR the bodies got slimmer instead of the dual purpose body. He is gorgeous. Heritage are also darker than production RIR.

Hi all. Just acquired my first chickens last week from the feed store, and have some being shipped on the 18th this month. I plan on fixing up the ice shack my friend gave me to use as the coop, figure that way they'll be nice and cozy this winter plus it's got a slew of windows I can open so it's cool this summer.

Any tips/tricks for a beginner chicken owner would be much appreciated!! ~Wheeks

Welcome to BYC! Enjoy the adventure! To make that coop predator proof, cover those window openings with 1/2" hardware cloth. Be sure they're closed in securely every night. Check out the Mama Heating Pad thread. Makes it super easy to brood chicks. Other things to look at: fermented feed, deep litter in both the coop and run.

What does everyone here do for runs? I have seen many coops around here with, what basically looks like fenced in yards for their chickens. I have plenty of space throughout our woods were I planned on having the chickens go so would have plenty of room to fence in a large area for them, chickens would be put up for the night. Thoughts or pros/cons on this?

What does everyone here do for runs? I have seen many coops around here with, what basically looks like fenced in yards for their chickens. I have plenty of space throughout our woods were I planned on having the chickens go so would have plenty of room to fence in a large area for them, chickens would be put up for the night. Thoughts or pros/cons on this?

Unless you use a very tall fence. With an open top run the chickens will be able to get out. Also hawks wilkl be able to take birds in the run. Personally I tend to do a smaller closed top run, with a door leading out. And I also let them free range. This way if there is a hawk is around I can still let the chickens into the run, without losing birds to the hawk.

The pros/cons of a large fenced in area depends a lot on the other accommodations, and you how intend to keep the chickens. If you have a good sized coop, and a good sized fenced area it's fine, though you may want to consider putting a netting over the top of fence. If you intended to also let them range, then a smaller run will also do fine.

I have both a covered predator-proof run, and a large fenced-in area. The fenced-in area is partly wooded, which helps give protection from hawks. I leave them in the secure run if I'm not going to be around that day. My fence is only 3 feet tall, and only one chicken flies over the top. I know others are capable of flying over, but they never do. I think they feel safer in a group.

I have one gal who regularly goes over the top of my electronet. She goes back and forth, and never goes far. I think she stays close due to the "flock" mentality. I do not have my fence charged yet. I'm not letting the chicks out into the run, b/c they'd be easy pickings, and could scoot in and out of the fence so easily. I want to integrate them, but the whole "run" situation is a bit of a concern, so for now, they are locked into their little coop area. The Tinies will be moving out next week. At that time, I think I'll put the tinies with the littles in the old coop which has an 8 x 12 DL run under the 4 x 8 loft. That will have to do until they are old enough to come and go in the electronet w/o getting through.

BTW, I've now dubbed the name of my "farm" "Little Town Farm. It's a play on words with my last name, and the name of my road. I've also dubbed my chickens as "Winter Green". B/C They are bred with cold tolerance in mind (Pea or Walnut comb) and egg color (Should be green). The Winter is also part of my town name. If anyone is interested, I should have some pullets available from this next batch of chicks in a couple of weeks. These little ones have some wonderful color variation, more so than the first batch. I'm putting out the word locally that I'll do an other batch (pre-order only) of straight run, if there is enough interest.

We never named our farm, but DH calls it "Guantanamo Farms" because my insistence on hardware cloth security everywhere :D.

Yesterday, we moved our massively heavy "portable" hoop coop for the last time. It must be moved with a tractor, and each move, it sustains some damage. Normally, the coop spends the winter on the garden and the summer on the yard. We tired of this day-long, physically exhausting, twice a year chore, and have selected a permanent location for it. I'm so glad to have it done, and now we can really get to work in the garden. We'll likely put up permanent fencing for the chickens, too. While the deer fence is really versatile, it was quite a chore to take it up in the fall after it becomes one with the earth!

Hi.Happy Mothers Day. I ,of course, am working. I have two questions. I just got 10 chicks.4 furure layers and 6 meat birds. I feel really bad about the condition the meat birds were in when I got them last week.The fuzz on their bellies are seriously matted and had pine shavings crusted on there. As days go by they look a little better but should I bathe them or let nature take care of itself. They are very skittish. Second question. These guys eat so much! Im wondering if they are like gold fish and will est whenever there is food until they explode. Should I just feed them a certain amount a day and thats it or what? Last night I felled up their waterand food and it was empty this morning. When I filled the food up they dove for it like they had never been fed! I realize they are quick growers but I don't want to over feed either. I cant believe the difference between the sizes of the meaties and the other 4.

Back
Top Bottom