Maine

I used to follow that reduce by 5 degrees rule, and then I saw a broody actually raise healthy chicks in the middle of winter.

I'm now much more stingy with the heat lamp, they get it for about the first 10 days, then that's it. They are in my basement which is between 50 and 70 degrees, but they're fine.

They are not outside. I just plasticed to crate to set up the brooder while I was outside. Better light, and more room. The chicks themselves are inside.

Mind you today was sunny and warm. So took a pair out in the grass to take some pics.

I'm not exactly sure just how broody she is. She's off her golf balls for perhaps up to 60 minutes at a time, but then right back on them again. She's got the bald broody patch, doing the broody cluck, and the growl/trill. Puffed up like a porcupine. Spending nights on the nest for over a week now. Any one want to weigh in on thoughts re: if she'll accept chicks? I moved her to a cardboard box in the old coop last night. When she was in the coop with the rest of the flock, the more aggressive hens kept running her off the nest.

I've also made plans with a first grade teacher... and her co-teachers to provide some eggs, and do a presentation to their first graders regarding hatching, and the relationship between farmer, chickens and gardens. That should be a blast. Then, after the hatch, I'll take the babies and hope to sell them to support my trip to Guatemala. If anyone is interested, they'll be a barn yard mix, a fair number of black sex links. All should be green or blue egg layers, and either pea or walnut comb.

Last edited:
I lost another chick today because of it being too warm, it got up to 80 today which for Maine was very warm, not realizing it would get that warm I went to check on my chicks and give them fresh water, and between the warm outside and the heat light I think it was too much. There was plenty of water .

Back
Top Bottom