Maine

Hi All,

Sorry if this is deemed inappropriate for the thread, but its only of interest to locals. I have this posted on Facebook and felt I should here as well.

Pre-Order: $5.90 Broad-Breasted White Turkey Poults

We're submitting our order this week for Thanksgiving Turkey poults and taking orders for anyone who may want their own poults as part of this larger order. We do need to get the order in this week as supply is getting constrained due to the bird-flu scares. Feed stores do their group orders too early for Thanksgiving slaughter of this breed, so we've set up an order form for anyone interested. http://www.fromawayfarmmaine.com/?p=70

To get a few questions out of the way:

- Supplier is one of the large breeding stock developers. While they are out of state (MI) it at least eliminates the middle-man hatcheries. We've also been able to get excellent, pre-flu pricing.

- Payment is required electronically as part of the order form, as we can't make orders and risk holding the bag for birds people lose interest in between now and July. It is a secure payment system, PayPal-based.

- Delivery time is scheduled for early July, making the birds an ideal age for slaughter just before Thanksgiving.

- We will not be re-shipping the poults, pick up is at our farm in South China, or possibly Augusta TSC.

- Laws are ambiguous, so we're playing it safe and requiring minimum orders of 6.

- All birds will be unsexed

- Based on our experience, females will dress 17-25lbs and males 24-30lbs depending on your feed practices. We find feed runs us about $2 per dressed pound.

- What's in this for us is that it brings down our personal per-bird cost given the inefficiencies with shipping smaller orders. There is a slight mark up, but only to cover transnational expenses like PayPal fees and shipment mortality.

Please keep any remaining questions in the comments of this post for others to read. Tag or PM me if you have a question so I don't miss it in the shuffle of this thread.

Again, the order form is posted at: http://www.fromawayfarmmaine.com/?p=70

Thank you for your interest.

I am about 90% sure one of my girls got a little frost bite on the points of comb. What's the best thing to put on her comb to heal?

Nothing...unless there is obvious infection. They will heal on their own. The points will fall off, if frostbitten enough, and heal. Frostbite is caused by too much moisture so you may need to look at increasing ventilation in your coop.

Hi All,

Sorry if this is deemed inappropriate for the thread, but its only of interest to locals. I have this posted on Facebook and felt I should here as well.

Pre-Order: $5.90 Broad-Breasted White Turkey Poults

We're submitting our order this week for Thanksgiving Turkey poults and taking orders for anyone who may want their own poults as part of this larger order. We do need to get the order in this week as supply is getting constrained due to the bird-flu scares. Feed stores do their group orders too early for Thanksgiving slaughter of this breed, so we've set up an order form for anyone interested. http://www.fromawayfarmmaine.com/?p=70

To get a few questions out of the way:

- Supplier is one of the large breeding stock developers. While they are out of state (MI) it at least eliminates the middle-man hatcheries. We've also been able to get excellent, pre-flu pricing.

- Payment is required electronically as part of the order form, as we can't make orders and risk holding the bag for birds people lose interest in between now and July. It is a secure payment system, PayPal-based.

- Delivery time is scheduled for early July, making the birds an ideal age for slaughter just before Thanksgiving.

- We will not be re-shipping the poults, pick up is at our farm in South China, or possibly Augusta TSC.

- Laws are ambiguous, so we're playing it safe and requiring minimum orders of 6.

- All birds will be unsexed

- Based on our experience, females will dress 17-25lbs and males 24-30lbs depending on your feed practices. We find feed runs us about $2 per dressed pound.

- What's in this for us is that it brings down our personal per-bird cost given the inefficiencies with shipping smaller orders. There is a slight mark up, but only to cover transnational expenses like PayPal fees and shipment mortality.

Please keep any remaining questions in the comments of this post for others to read. Tag or PM me if you have a question so I don't miss it in the shuffle of this thread.

Again, the order form is posted at: http://www.fromawayfarmmaine.com/?p=70

Thank you for your interest.

I'm not currently set up for this, but am very thankful that you are making this option available. July brooding should make it extra easy!

Yes, thank you for extending the offer to us. While the last thing I need is 6 more turkeys, I did think about it for a few minutes this morning.

I can tell spring is coming - my 3 year old gigantic toms are driving me insane.

So Hubby and I went out in the pouring rain tonight to find one of our white silkie boys as a carcass in front of the barn door. Something took him out on the spot and ate away the head, neck, and breast. The organs were scattered a little, the feathers were mostly in a circle around the body. We only know it was a roo by the leg band we had put on the bird. So... that sucked to deal with. But, we believe we've identified the pattern of the kill as a small bird of prey, likely a hawk of some kind. There are certainly red tails in the region that we've seen, and likely Coopers hawks too.

Has anyone else had any experience with this, and have you used any method other than full bird enclosures to deter such attacks? I'm not looking forward to the building of a poultry Alcatraz exercise yard in spring. We had really hoped to free-range as much as possible :(

Oh no! I wouldnt rule out a raccoon or a fox either. The only way to stop it is to kill the animal eating them. Was your rooster full grown? If not if it was a bird of prey then they may lay off once the birds get really big.

Back
Top Bottom