Maine

I haven't found another rat tunnel since we caught one in the snap trap. There had to be more rats, -there are big tunnels and slick paths everywhere outside the run, so we came up with a theory.

DH had dug up the corner of the run as best he could (frozen ground), and it appeared that the rats had chewed through the corner post. He built a patch using hardware cloth, which he thought might hold them back for a short time. The lone rat (that we saw on the game cam and eventually caught) we think was underground inside the run when DH was adding the patch. The rat got trapped inside, while the others were unable to get it. That's the theory anyway.

This summer, I'll have to dig up that corner and reinforce. In the meantime, I'll need to keep an eye out for new tunnels showing up...

Perhaps. I did throw poison down one of their holes, where it disappeared out of sight. Maybe they ate it. I'm not sure where they are nesting. There is a large area under the coop that I can't get to, - only about 8" of clearance under there. I suspect they will be back someday. :rolleyes:

There is an Acker's Acres in New Gloucester. She has German and German/French Angoras. Email is [email protected]. Not sure if this is who you mean.

Congrats on the Pyr. I have had three and foster for Big Fluffy Dog Rescue which was started as Pyr rescue. We now take in other breeds but Pyrs are still at the top of the list.

T
I don't have to much trouble in the winter but in the summer I have bears! I had just lost my 2 dogs 6 mths apart almost 2 years ago and at 65 & 61 we were thinking of not getting another dog after they had both died.  But I've had a few bears and a fox that we got that kept getting my girls, my favorite rooster 3 or my adult angora rabbits and 3 babies but the worst was having them come up 2 1/2 ft away from me not once but enough times that I bought my husband "the judge" to keep him company and I got myself a great pyrenees for my B-day +xmas present!  So now I've been told of someone who has Angora Giants and their farm is Ackers Farm just somewhere out of Bethel Me.  Does anyone know how to contact them?  I'd really appreciate it, Thanks!

The rat zapper has sausage & a meatball for bait and it's still there!! The little mf's dug a new tunnel next to the tunnel I threw the poison in. Go figure! A co-worker told me she heard that if the others hear a distress call, they'll leave. I found a 30 minute sound bite of a rat in distress online. Anyone else heard of this?

We had a couple rats this past fall. We laid out traps and they just ignored them.. peanut butter, meat, cheese... nothing worked. We were talking about it with a friend and he gave us his brother's perfect rat recipe. 1 tootsie roll and 1 starburst candy (we have used the orange and yellow) throw them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. Just enough to get soft, and then mash them together into a brown ball of goo. Once you get it mixed well, heat it a bit again so that you can mold it to the trigger plate good and solid. Use as much or as little as you think is needed. I found 1 ball did 2 rat snap traps or 4 mouse sized. In 3 nights we cleared out all 4 rats. We cleared 5 mice from our basement the same way, and recently got another on the traps I left set up down there since fall. So the bait is still working!

Happy Hunting!!

Back
Top Bottom