Maine

Hey can someone help me out please. Has anyone ever got chickens from orchard ridge farm in Gorham? I am trying to decide on which breeds they have that would go well with the ones that I have. I have a production red, a white leghorn and an RIR, all hens. If someone could look at the breeds they have and make a suggestion on which ones I should get it would be most appreciated
1f60a.png
. Here is the link:
http://www.orchardridgemaine.com/chickens/

Hey can someone help me out please. Has anyone ever got chickens from orchard ridge farm in Gorham? I am trying to decide on which breeds they have that would go well with the ones that I have. I have a production red, a white leghorn and an RIR, all hens. If someone could look at the breeds they have and make a suggestion on which ones I should get it would be most appreciated
1f60a.png
. Here is the link:

P.S:I live in Portland, I already have 3 chickens and I can only have 6 total. I'm looking for 3 different breeds.

Not sure what you mean by "go with", chickens aren't generally racists... they hate each other equally :)

They'll integrate all the same, when the young ones are an appropriate age just put them in with the older ones at night and the next morning they'll find their way in the pecking order.

As far as what's complimentary, it's cool that you already have 3 breeds so I'd mix it up for ornamental reasons with an eye towards practicality. The Delaware, Sussex, Wyandottes, Orpington, Sex Link, Easter Eggers, Australorps are good tempered, productive heavy birds that do well in Maine.

The Red-Sex Link is practically no different than you're current production red, and 50% RIR. In some cases you actually may not be able to tell the difference between them when they mature.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "go with", chickens aren't generally racists... they hate each other equally :)

They'll integrate all the same, when the young ones are an appropriate age just put them in with the older ones at night and the next morning they'll find their way in the pecking order.

As far as what's complimentary, it's cool that you already have 3 breeds so I'd mix it up for ornamental reasons with an eye towards practicality. The Delaware, Sussex, Wyandottes, Orpington, Sex Link, Easter Eggers, Australorps are good tempered, productive heavy birds that do well in Maine.

The Red-Sex Link is practically no different than you're current production red, and 50% RIR. In some cases you actually may not be able to tell the difference between them when they mature.

I meant complimentary lol sorry
1f60a.png

1f60a.png
. Here is the link:

I am partial to buff orpingtons ouy of the ten or so different breeds. That is my favorite...

Hard to choose only 3 chickens! I like EEs a lot, and speckled Sussex, although I have none left. I have one silver-laced Wyandotte, and she is very striking. I've always wanted to try Delawares too. Sounds like you would be happy living in a more rural area. :)

Hard to choose only 3 chickens! I like EEs a lot, and speckled Sussex, although I have none left. I have one silver-laced Wyandotte, and she is very striking. I've always wanted to try Delawares too. Sounds like you would be happy living in a more rural area. :)

I wish I could live in a rural area but I don't have a car
1f61e.png

Back
Top Bottom