Maine

We got 24", was suppose to be 15" tops :(
5 sessions outside shoveling to keep up so i don't ruin my back.

Did you hear ? :popanother storm next week and the nice weekend is going to be 10 degrees colder :(
This is why I live in MA and not ME ;) I spent 9 months in ME, too cold haha

It's my very first winter keeping chickens and I can't wait for spring so that I can change some things to make it easier next winter. But THIS winter has to end first! Geez what a year to start. :fl
We're in EXACTLY the same boat! Our girls combs are finally starting to look back-to-normal... and now we've got single digit lows coming AGAIN? :barnie

Here's what our run and attached garden looked like this morning - and it's pretty much all what fell yesterday!

Attachments

• Snowy Run.jpg
    Snowy Run.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 5
It's nice to hear from those who get it! I have a Facebook chicken group I follow that's got folks stressed about winter and they have powder on the ground. Gimme a break!

Latest Nor'easter calamity: the snow slide off the coop roof took out the compost "roller" barrel, which was parked about 4' forward of the eave side and 4' forward of the gable end corner. Knocked it right off it's roller frame. When hubby designed that coop, I did a lot of muttering about his design decisions when we were up on that roof putting the metal on. The pitch is 12/12. I don't do well with heights. And that peak was way up there!!! Now, instead of mutter about the pitch of that roof (after every snow storm), I find myself saying: "honey, you were so very right, and I was so very wrong!" The snow knocked off the sunroof tarp is now almost up to the 2 x 4 welded fencing that covers the non tarped section of the run.

We got at least 24" here. I was out knocking snow off the sun room tarp roof at 3 am this morning. Enuff already. I'm tired of this. Our snow blower broke. Hubby's back is tweaked, and I've been nursing a sprained wrist since the last storm.
I know this is no comfort... but at least to us noobs in both Maine winters and chickens that we're not crazy when we get a little frustrated with this part of the season :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence, @lazy gardener ! I welcome the black flies and mosquitoes, I promise! Anything to be done with the snow shoveling! Speaking of which I need to get back to it.

BTW my sweetie makes the BEST homemade insect repellent. It doesn't feel gross on your skin and it WORKS. The only downside is if you're sweating it only lasts about 30 minutes... but it kept all the mosquitoes and biting flies at bay as I built the coop and run last spring/summer. When you're standing on a ladder using a chainsaw (safety first!) you don't have the luxury to swat flies! :p

Back
Top Bottom