1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine

I was told you can vaccinate adult birds and I do vaccinate. Vaccinated birds do not "spread" the disease. I would rather be safe than sorry, I don't vaccinate for anything else....

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have also spoken to many breeders and they also vaccinate, it is easy to transmit and I lost a lot of birds buying from a reputable source that sent me chicks that unknowingly exposed to mareks, you never know....so far what I have been doing is working...

3. TayFray!

TayFray! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    PM me and maybe we can work something out, thanks!

4. peterslovo

peterslovo New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    southern Maine
    Scarborough representing here. Just saying hi to all the Mainahs!

5. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Just rec'd my Marans hatching eggs. They aren't as dark as I thought they'd be [​IMG] The roo is from a really dark egg, so hopefully, if any hatch, they will lay dark [​IMG] When these are put in the bator, I'll have 25 eggs in there. I REALLY hope that I have good hatches !

6. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    That's sort of where I am. There are a lot of backyard chickens around here, some not kept in the best sort of conditions, and several within a half mile to mile radius. We won't be culling at the end of the year since the birds will be pets just as much as a source of protein. (Any meat production would be a long way off) If there aren't any real downsides to vaxing the chicks, why not? Or are there downsides to doing it? Though if I get pullets and hens instead of chicks, I'll just have to make sure they were vaxed I suppose. The last thing I'd want would be my sons pet (which he's already named Clucksy lol) to die for something that is easily prevented.

I've read mixed things on vaxing older birds. It sounds like, if they've been exposed in the past, the vaccine will be useless. So unless they've been quarantined their entire lives, it's still a gamble.

Now, as for hens raising their own chicks... We will be getting a rooster eventually and letting chicks hatch. So long as all the adults have been vaccinated, the chicks will gain immunity naturally? Or would they need to be vaccinated as well? The plan would be to let mama hen raise them.

On that note... Are any of the breeds I'm looking at good for being broody and raising chicks? I don't know if this is what we'll get, since finding vaxed pullets at or near ready to lay age is going to limit my options I'm sure... But this is what I'm looking for: Orpingtons, Australorps, Eggers, Sussex and Plymouth Rocks.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Believe it or not a lot of prominent breeders on here vaccinate. I got lots of messages when I was having my problems. They told me to vaccinate my older birds ...

8. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I too don't bring anything in and was highly selective of where my birds(chicks) came from. I had NO problems for over 3 years....
    NPIP does NOT guarantee mareks free, FYI. I was talking to Jean(pips&peeps) about NPIP and learned that it only covers Pullorum, Salmonella typhoid, Salmonella enteritidis, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma synoviae, Mycoplasma meleagridis, and Avian Influenza, .......NOT Mareks....and it is a devastating disease that can be averted by a simple vaccination, JMHO(from a previously heartbroken chicken momma)

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    in maine our NPIP testing does not cover Avian Influenza. this year when they do the new training of NPIP testers, they are going to try to make our testing include AI for those that need it to show in NH and other states that require it. so if you do the normal test, you won't be testing for AI unless you request it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by