Maine

So, in looking for birds... I should be looking for some from a place that does NPIP certification each year, plus vaccinates for Marek's? Like I said, I'm just getting my feet wet trying to figure this all out. Being my first time with birds, I especially don't want to risk getting sick ones.

How do I find a breeder/s that does all this, AND offers started pullets (or at least coop ready)? Am I just out of luck in that case? Anywhere in southern Maine, over to Fryeburg/North Conway or up to Augusta. I tried posting a wanted on the FSOT board, but kept getting an error. I'd especially love if I could get the entire flock from one breeder, though I know that may be REALLY stretching it.

I do know that the chicks that are due tomorrow have been vaccinated for Marek's. I chose that option when I placed my order with Cackle. The ones I am getting Friday from Metcalf's I'm not sure about but they are from an NPIP hatchery. Last year any chicks that Longhorn ordered from Cackle were vaccinated automatically. It wasn't an option.

One thing to keep in mind is that no vaccine is 100% effective. The Marek's one is 95-98% effective so the odds are great that a vaccinated chicken will be protected.

I would say it is a personal choice. Some vaccinate, some don't. Some are NPIP certified. Some aren't. I'm currently not. I'm not against it but I'm not a huge fan of having any outsiders on my property especially ones that have ties to the government.

While Marek's is a concern for flock owners I've had more issues with predators than anything else. At least they have healthy food to bring home to the kids.
roll.png

I am NPIP tested but I take my birds to be tested, they don't come here.
I do know that the chicks that are due tomorrow have been vaccinated for Marek's. I chose that option when I placed my order with Cackle. The ones I am getting Friday from Metcalf's I'm not sure about but they are from an NPIP hatchery. Last year any chicks that Longhorn ordered from Cackle were vaccinated automatically. It wasn't an option.

One thing to keep in mind is that no vaccine is 100% effective. The Marek's one is 95-98% effective so the odds are great that a vaccinated chicken will be protected.

I would say it is a personal choice. Some vaccinate, some don't. Some are NPIP certified. Some aren't. I'm currently not. I'm not against it but I'm not a huge fan of having any outsiders on my property especially ones that have ties to the government.

While Marek's is a concern for flock owners I've had more issues with predators than anything else. At least they have healthy food to bring home to the kids.
roll.png

here is a pic of my breda babies, aren't they adorable? I just love their fuzzy legs...

Krista- mom to 7 with an amazingly understanding husband
smile.png
. Ameraucana (b/b/s), opal oegb, lav araucana project, swedish flower hens, cream legbar, blue isbar, silver laced brahma, hedemora, b/b/s orps, jubilee orps, blue breda fowl, tolbunt polish project(tolbunt x gl) and a mixed free range flock ...
ReplyQuote Multi
Krista- mom to 7 with an amazingly understanding husband
smile.png
. Ameraucana (b/b/s), opal oegb, lav araucana project, swedish flower hens, cream legbar, blue isbar, silver laced brahma, hedemora, b/b/s orps, jubilee orps, blue breda fowl, tolbunt polish project(tolbunt x gl) and a mixed free range flock ...
ReplyQuote Multi

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom