Maine

and on the chipmuck color, my blue laced red wyandottes and welsummer both have them and look very different when grown.

most hatchery EE's come in chipmunk, chipmunk x chipmunk will yield chipmunk. I have seen many EE's with various shades color but all have the stripe. It is only when you create your own and use certain colors you lose the chipmunk markings, when other traits are more dominant. I was just at the feed store and looked in the brooder, asked the salesman "what breed" and he said "those are americana". Yes, they were chipmunk striped, as they always are at this place and they get stock from at least 2 different hatcheries. Their "americana" are always chipmunk striped.

I am not saying they aren't silver ameraucana, but it is unlikely. It's just not a common color and even my girls are clean faced, since they were still in the project phase when I got them(I did get one bearded), because of the breed that was used to introduce the color. I never pursued the project just because I didn't hatch any roos
hu.gif
, that combined with the clean faces was proving to be a challenge. I decided if I was going to work on any project colors I would develop them myself....that way I know what I am working with, helps you get to where you are going better if you know the genes involved....

Ok. Eggs were due to hatch on Monday, and there isn't even a pip in any yet. Should I keep waiting or what ? There is movement in 1 of the remaining 9 Orpington eggs, and I can't see through the Marans shells. Soooo beyond upset with this hatch. This is my first time using and incubator, and even though I followed the instructions, I may not get any chicks from 27 eggs.
barnie.gif
Hopefully the next one will be better. If anyone is looking for a Partridge Rock cockerel, let me know. 2 of the 3 Partridge Rocks I got turned out to be males, and are about 10 weeks old. My girls can't handle 5 boys in the flock.

i am having an issue that temp in my incubator dropped so it;s taking longer for my eggs to hatch. they were due yesterday, no pips but I did open one egg and the baby was moving so into a ziplock baggie with a wet napkin and fingers crossed. the temp being low will add some time before they hatch. if you can, open one of the eggs. start at the top where the airspace is and gently crack (I use a spoon tip) and peel back the membrane and poke the chick to see if its dead or alive. it will move if it's alive. then decide what you will do with the rest of the eggs.
Ok. Eggs were due to hatch on Monday, and there isn't even a pip in any yet. Should I keep waiting or what ? There is movement in 1 of the remaining 9 Orpington eggs, and I can't see through the Marans shells. Soooo beyond upset with this hatch. This is my first time using and incubator, and even though I followed the instructions, I may not get any chicks from 27 eggs.
barnie.gif
Hopefully the next one will be better. If anyone is looking for a Partridge Rock cockerel, let me know. 2 of the 3 Partridge Rocks I got turned out to be males, and are about 10 weeks old. My girls can't handle 5 boys in the flock.

I candle the questionable ones, then if there is movement I have only made a small hole at the top which is easily closed back up with scotch tape. Since they pip and zip the side it doesn't interfere with hatching....just don't use too much tape. I have found this way also keeps they from shrink wrapping from losing humidity...

barnie.gif

how old is the cockeral?

Well it looks like the Black Spanish Turkeys are starting to hatch, 2 have come into the world already and 3 more pipped. should be ready this week end for pickup.

Back
Top Bottom