Maine

Well I had one out of three duck eggs hatch. So now I have one lone duckling (part Saxony and part something else). I can't put him in with the chicks and poults since they would probably trample him. And unless I get an email from Holderreads tonight saying my ducks were shipped today then the little guy will have to be solo until at least next week.

And for the person looking for pullets who will lay this summer try Longhorn in Buxton. They have been getting in Golden Comets who will be ready to lay two to three weeks after you get them. I know the May 1st order is full but they are accepting orders for the June 1st order. Price is $10 ea. I ended up ordering 3 for May just so I can get eggs before fall from my new girls.

Well I had one out of three duck eggs hatch. So now I have one lone duckling (part Saxony and part something else). I can't put him in with the chicks and poults since they would probably trample him. And unless I get an email from Holderreads tonight saying my ducks were shipped today then the little guy will have to be solo until at least next week.

And for the person looking for pullets who will lay this summer try Longhorn in Buxton. They have been getting in Golden Comets who will be ready to lay two to three weeks after you get them. I know the May 1st order is full but they are accepting orders for the June 1st order. Price is $10 ea. I ended up ordering 3 for May just so I can get eggs before fall from my new girls.

Does anyone in southern Maine have any bantam black cochins? Looking for nice stock for a project...I would like eggs please :D

joanie might have some but she isn't in southern maine, closer to wilton. she has nice birds.
and the babies are doing great!

Does anyone in southern Maine have any bantam black cochins? Looking for nice stock for a project...I would like eggs please
big_smile.png

A teacher at my school decided to hatch eggs with the kids. She got the eggs and incubator from some guy who knows someone she knows. I went to check it out, and the guy had made a very cool homemade incubator. It was full of different colored eggs. The teacher knows that some are silkies, and the pretty blue eggs he told her would hatch out with a chipmunk stripe (maybe silver Ameraucanas?). I'm pretty sure he is keeping the chicks, but I'm already eyeing this operation with more interest than the kids! :D

A teacher at my school decided to hatch eggs with the kids. She got the eggs and incubator from some guy who knows someone she knows. I went to check it out, and the guy had made a very cool homemade incubator. It was full of different colored eggs. The teacher knows that some are silkies, and the pretty blue eggs he told her would hatch out with a chipmunk stripe (maybe silver Ameraucanas?). I'm pretty sure he is keeping the chicks, but I'm already eyeing this operation with more interest than the kids!
big_smile.png

the chipmunk stripe will probably be EE's. I don't think we have any silver ameraucana breeders up here. I have a couple of silver girls that are 5 now, but never hatched a roo so they are with the other egg layers. I don't think I have met anyone up here that knows the difference between an araucana, americana or true ameraucana
hu.gif
except for the BYC folks. It's nice that the teacher got to do this with her class
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
the chipmunk stripe will probably be EE's. I don't think we have any silver ameraucana breeders up here. I have a couple of silver girls that are 5 now, but never hatched a roo so they are with the other egg layers. I don't think I have met anyone up here that knows the difference between an araucana, americana or true ameraucana
hu.gif
except for the BYC folks. It's nice that the teacher got to do this with her class
thumbsup.gif
But if it is an EE, how does he know it will hatch with the stripe? Do certain crosses always yield that result? I hope I can catch this guy sometime, and try to find out more. I'm curious what his other breeds in there are, too.

But if it is an EE, how does he know it will hatch with the stripe? Do certain crosses always yield that result? I hope I can catch this guy sometime, and try to find out more. I'm curious what his other breeds in there are, too.

most hatchery EE's come in chipmunk, chipmunk x chipmunk will yield chipmunk. I have seen many EE's with various shades color but all have the stripe. It is only when you create your own and use certain colors you lose the chipmunk markings, when other traits are more dominant. I was just at the feed store and looked in the brooder, asked the salesman "what breed" and he said "those are americana". Yes, they were chipmunk striped, as they always are at this place and they get stock from at least 2 different hatcheries. Their "americana" are always chipmunk striped.

I am not saying they aren't silver ameraucana, but it is unlikely. It's just not a common color and even my girls are clean faced, since they were still in the project phase when I got them(I did get one bearded), because of the breed that was used to introduce the color. I never pursued the project just because I didn't hatch any roos
hu.gif
, that combined with the clean faces was proving to be a challenge. I decided if I was going to work on any project colors I would develop them myself....that way I know what I am working with, helps you get to where you are going better if you know the genes involved....

Back
Top Bottom