Maine

Got my garden beds in (FINALLY) and planted, got the area for the new coop cleaned up somewhat, and am glad for a rainy day & excuse to not do much else today.
The ducks are enjoying the rain, and the chickens are enjoying the buffet in the duck house.
Its a good Sunday to be a Mainer.

What did you plant?

I'm happy for the rain, too. Feels like a nice lazy day, and one which I don't have to worry about watering anything. The ducks here are loving it, too. They're a muddy mess out there drilling holes in their run.

haven't been on the internet for a couple days, I have been soo busy with softball and chickens! I went to the skowtown swap yesterday, Had soo much fun minus the trash-talking 12 year olds (not part of the swap) Sold all the animals I went with and came home with 6 mini rex bunnies, and some little marans mix chicks! Probably my best profit swap! SOO Happy!! I might be able to swing by the Augusta one on the 28th, but cant stay! (have nothing to sell anyways) Hope everyone's chickens are all doing well! Have a couple fun rainy days in Maine!

I have access to FBCM hatching eggs that the origninal flock came from Greenfire Farms. Hatchability is fantastic as we have them hatching every week.

If you still have hatching eggs or chicks in a few weeks, PollyC, I may be interested! By then, I hopefully will know how many of my 20 hatchlings are roosters, and how many more I can fit in our still-under-construction hoop coop.

Meanwhile, one of our sick hens, the Speckled Sussex, died today. She was the second sick hen, and she went down very quickly. I have her chilled, in hopes of a UMaine necropsy tomorrow.

Sick hen #1, a Buff Chantecler, is not entirely well, but greatly improved. She still has very watery diarrhea. She drinks fine, voraciously eats greens, but is only mildly interested in feed or other treats.

I hope you get some answers on your birds, sorry about you sussex.
If you still have hatching eggs or chicks in a few weeks, PollyC, I may be interested! By then, I hopefully will know how many of my 20 hatchlings are roosters, and how many more I can fit in our still-under-construction hoop coop.
Meanwhile, one of our sick hens, the Speckled Sussex, died today. She was the second sick hen, and she went down very quickly. I have her chilled, in hopes of a UMaine necropsy tomorrow.
Sick hen #1, a Buff Chantecler, is not entirely well, but greatly improved. She still has very watery diarrhea. She drinks fine, voraciously eats greens, but is only mildly interested in feed or other treats.

Sorry to hear about your losses and continued illnesses. Hope the necroscopy helps you figure out what's going on.

ok, I loaded the incubator for the last time this yr. if it comes to having to hatch more, i am switching to my smaller 24 egg unit so i can't be doing 50+ more eggs.

I candled the eggs in the incubator today, they are at day 9. We had set 24 and only had to toss 4. I am very pleased so far! Half of the eggs that we set were from you Hoppy. I am not sure how well they will progress, as we had to wait longer than we expected to sett them, but we shall see.

that's awesome!! even though you had to wait longer to set them, they weren't shipped so that is a big plus in hatchability.
I candled the eggs in the incubator today, they are at day 9. We had set 24 and only had to toss 4. I am very pleased so far! Half of the eggs that we set were from you Hoppy. I am not sure how well they will progress, as we had to wait longer than we expected to sett them, but we shall see.

ok, I loaded the incubator for the last time this yr. if it comes to having to hatch more, i am switching to my smaller 24 egg unit so i can't be doing 50+ more eggs.
It sounds like it may not be the last time! :D Thanks for the condolences, Hoppy and SCG. Even though they were timed together, I'm not entirely sure that these 2 hens had the same illness. I'm eager to find out what the necropsy says. The speckled Sussex that died felt hot, like there may have been an infection. We've only had chickens for 2 years, but this is the very first one we have lost. The Chantecler is not participating in full days yet. She got back up on the roost around 2 p.m. I'm keeping her separate from the others, not because I think she has something contagious, but I don't think she is strong enough to fight for food or deal with the rooster. I have to coax her to eat anything. Also, since I treated her with Ivermectin, I want to make sure I don't eat her eggs (that is, assuming she ever lays one again)!

I candled the eggs again, and out of the 9 Orpington eggs, I saw movement in one.
hmm.png
Of course I can't see anything in the Marans eggs because of the shells. Hopefully they will start hatching today
fl.gif
Does anyone have any hatching eggs they would like to sell ? I don't think I'll be doing shipped eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom