Maine

I am planning on picking up some Turkeys chicks from PollyC/ Hattie this weekend. SCG I can pick up some for you too if you want them. I am in Monmouth.

This is hard! I had decided I was all set when she said they were dead, I figured that was my "sign" that I had too many birds already anyway. Now they're alive. I'm supposed to have a lone silkie hatch today or tomorrow and then 3 turkeys and 3 more chicks next Saturday.

Maybe I'll still take 2. Boyfriend's working this weekend so he might not notice.

Yeah, put me down for 2.

Are you going to the Disgusta swap?

Anyone have any Silkie eggs available? I would like to try and hatch out some because Silkies don't count when it comes to chicken math.
smile.png

Finally got my Buff Orps. After three weeks of waiting since the shipment got screwed up I got the call from the feed store today. Talk about organized chaos. The piglets that they were expecting to get in tomorrow morning arrived late this afternoon. They must have got in at least 100. So people were there trying to get their pigs. Plus customers wanting grain and seedlings and everything else. I had to wait a few minutes to get my chicks but unlike a couple other customers I didn't mind. The employees were going as fast as they could. Oddest thing I saw was an older gentleman taking a large metal trash can out of the back of his truck and head towards the pigs. Hopefully he wasn't going to transport his pig in the can.

that would not surprise me, the trash can. I do have paint silkie, paint sizzle and just silkie eggs. I am bringing 6 of this mix to the augusta swap tomorrow $20/6

Anyone have any Silkie eggs available? I would like to try and hatch out some because Silkies don't count when it comes to chicken math.
smile.png

Finally got my Buff Orps. After three weeks of waiting since the shipment got screwed up I got the call from the feed store today. Talk about organized chaos. The piglets that they were expecting to get in tomorrow morning arrived late this afternoon. They must have got in at least 100. So people were there trying to get their pigs. Plus customers wanting grain and seedlings and everything else. I had to wait a few minutes to get my chicks but unlike a couple other customers I didn't mind. The employees were going as fast as they could. Oddest thing I saw was an older gentleman taking a large metal trash can out of the back of his truck and head towards the pigs. Hopefully he wasn't going to transport his pig in the can.

I have to work tomorrow.
sad.png
No way to get to Augusta in time to pick up any eggs.

Oddly enough my seasonal job that ended on the 15th asked me to work this weekend. With temps getting below freezing there is a chance of frost. And that means that there may be some airplanes that would like to be de-iced. So I get to get up at 330 to get to the airport by 5 to more than likely just sit and watch planes take off. Especially tomorrow morning. With the strong winds it is unlikely that frost will form. But Sunday may be a different story. Lighter winds and colder temperatures. If nothing else I will get paid for 8 hours whether or not we actually work 8 hours.

I will be at the airport this week, if it's portland you work at.

I have to work tomorrow.
sad.png
No way to get to Augusta in time to pick up any eggs.

Oddly enough my seasonal job that ended on the 15th asked me to work this weekend. With temps getting below freezing there is a chance of frost. And that means that there may be some airplanes that would like to be de-iced. So I get to get up at 330 to get to the airport by 5 to more than likely just sit and watch planes take off. Especially tomorrow morning. With the strong winds it is unlikely that frost will form. But Sunday may be a different story. Lighter winds and colder temperatures. If nothing else I will get paid for 8 hours whether or not we actually work 8 hours.

I will be at the airport this week, if it's portland you work at.

It is. But that is only part-time. After tomorrow I won't be there until September when the season starts up again. I hope. The money is good and the job is fun but working 7 days a week gets tiring, Now I am looking forward to having a couple days off a week. Otherwise I work in Windham full-time during the week with the once in a while weekend. That just happens to be next weekend. Then on May 13th I have the Temple Grandin lectures to go to. And on May 20th it is my sister's 70th birthday. I haven't been this busy with things to do in a long time.

Hello fellow Mainahs! I live in northern Aroostook County Maine and bare some extreme winters. I currently have no chickens or animals except a cat but I wanted to get information to start raising just a couple for eggs. I have done a bit of reading and feel more confidant about chickens living in this harsh environment. So any advice on raising chickens in the cold would be appreciated, and I would like to get as far as possible without electrically heating. I am too worried about burns, fires, and heating bills so if i am going to need to heat the coop I most likely will decide against chickens.

Hello fellow Mainahs! I live in northern Aroostook County Maine and bare some extreme winters. I currently have no chickens or animals except a cat but I wanted to get information to start raising just a couple for eggs. I have done a bit of reading and feel more confidant about chickens living in this harsh environment. So any advice on raising chickens in the cold would be appreciated, and I would like to get as far as possible without electrically heating. I am too worried about burns, fires, and heating bills so if i am going to need to heat the coop I most likely will decide against chickens.

I live in Bridgewater not far form you,I don`t heat in my coop.When we built it we did insulate it and put in lots of ventilation up near the eves,to keep the hummidity down in the winter.Thats your biggerst problem is the dampness,it can freeze combs and wattles.I also use the deep litter method in the winter.This is only changing your bedding once a year,I use pine shavings that I buy by the bag at tractor supply.I keep adding thoughout the winter to keep the smell down,by spring there is about a foot of bedding on the floor and that keeps the floors warm and the decomposing adds a little warmth.Now for your breeds that can endure the cold,I have orpingtons they do very well in the cold and will even lay some.I have in the past had golen comet very good layers and black sexlinks also good layers.Easter Eggers they lay colored eggs blue mostly.These are the breeds that I have had and they do very well in the cold.There are also rhode island reds and many more. I do have silkies they are a batam breed and I do provide heat lamps for them when it is really cold,which was all winter because they keep hatching out chicks all winter.The more chickens you have in your coop the warmer it will be and they do huddle togather on the roosts at night.But remember you need 3 square feet per bird,if they are to crowded they can start pecking at each other and causing real problems.Hope this helps you.

thanks for the info very helpful. Im not sure if we are going to start soon I have to find out what the laws on living in town and if we have space in our yard. Also I dont have any coop but know someone selling a rabbit cage that to me looks like a coop already it has two cages stacked and is about 3 or 4 feet by 2 feet and each cage is about 2 feet tall. I was thinking about just keeping two chickens one in each cage, maybe get a couple chicks and raise them inside first. I was thinking about golden sex link for a breed, from what I read in the breed secion here they seem to be the best for both cold weather and egg laying.

thanks for the info very helpful. Im not sure if we are going to start soon I have to find out what the laws on living in town and if we have space in our yard. Also I dont have any coop but know someone selling a rabbit cage that to me looks like a coop already it has two cages stacked and is about 3 or 4 feet by 2 feet and each cage is about 2 feet tall. I was thinking about just keeping two chickens one in each cage, maybe get a couple chicks and raise them inside first. I was thinking about golden sex link for a breed, from what I read in the breed secion here they seem to be the best for both cold weather and egg laying.

Sex links are great layers every day and a large egg.

Back
Top Bottom