Maine

Sent 3 roosters to freezer camp today. They were small, but they will no longer be waking me up at 4 AM. Next on the docket is the Dominique pullets who are crowing. I skinned the birds, and gave the skins, feathers and all to a friend who is involved in teaching a fly tying course. Hopefully I may see some trout on the other end of this barter!!

Re: feed, I've heard that Perkco feeds gets in freshly milled feed once a week. They do bulk deliveries, not sure what areas they cover.

Big chores here this weekend too.
I liked SCG's idea of caging up the birds I am integrating, but when I took a look at my cages, they were not in good shape and smaller than what I needed. So I spent much of my weekend building small pens within pens within pens!

All the chicks left in the jail are males (although there are two I'm only guessing at), and there are three bigger males sectioned off under the brooder and getting to know the smaller cockerels. I also sectioned off an area in the back section of the coop and in the Ameraucana pen for other integration projects. One of the chicks escaped into the Ameraucana area and they did not kill her, so I'm hoping I'll be able to mix them all soon.

With DH's help the hoop house is finally weeded and ready. Only half the corn is in, but I'll keep at it after work each day. I've got so much to do at school before it closes that I'm a little overwhelmed, but that happens every year.

We get aphids every year on the peppers, and I usually rub the leaves with my fingers while spraying them with the hose. Most of them wash off, although I have to repeat the process and eventually they fade out.

Chore day here also. Started out with working on the horse fence. All went well until I needed to recharge the drill's battery. For some reason the charger didn't work after the cat decided to push it off the counter into the dogs' water bowl.
roll.png
. So there went the fence repair. I then went to Lowe's to get a new charger. Pleasant cashier. We got to talking about my horses. She wanted my card so she could tell her daughter about them. I had to explain that I don't teach riding. I just have the horses for my own use and for friends. Then went to Metcalf's for some hay. They still have some young pigs left if anyone is looking to raise one or two this year. Good size too.

Once I got home I decided to get out the weed whacker. Managed to take care of all the tall grass around the front of the house. Scared one of the chickens. She was nesting beside the rose bush in the tall grass. I didn't even see her until I had whacked some of the grass away. Now I know where all the eggs went lately.
smile.png
After that I mowed most of the lawn. Still have the spot closest to the road but that will get done at some point. The birds spent the day foraging the lawn where I had mowed and snoozing under the forsythia bushes and the truck.

Best of all I managed to run the drill bit against my finger not once but three times. The first two times was just a brush. The last time I took some skin off. Thought I would bleed like a stuck pig but only a few drops and a nicely bruised finger. Also figured out that I have no bandages in the house. Now I'm sure some of you are wondering how I drilled my finger. It was easy. I have to drill holes in some of the insulators so I can get them onto fiberglass poles. In order to do this I have to hold the insulators in one hand and the drill in the other. I tried to keep fingers out of the way but didn't quite do a great job.

Almost forgot. Also finished planting the garden. Didn't get as much corn or cucumbers in as I wanted to but at least I got some in the ground. Now if it will only grow well.

Last edited:
I got to work today. Wish I could do some chores this place is really behind. One of the goats escaped today and I thought it was eerily quiet outside, so I went out to check at the end of dinner... to find a goat on my porch watching us. Poor thing is obsessed with us.

Too cute with the goat! Always wanted goats, especially dwarf goats. A neighbor breeds them and they are so adorable, brings tears to my eyes, especially when they are very young. He had one that was almost pure white and he would walk her on a leash. She too imprinted on him and she follows him like a puppy. Maybe some day...For now have to deal with a Pekin duckling who has imprinted and has no idea she is a duck. She has no intention of hanging with the others and they know she is :different" and bully her. Hope they will accept her eventually.

Mainechick-- its pretty cheap to buy lady bugs :) We have a store right here that sells lots of them. I bought some praying mantis from them, too, just for fun.

SCG- goat poops are easier to clean off the deck than goose.... now that the goose is setting the gander is totally lost. He almost came in when we had the door propped the other day. He really is a 'silly goose.'

ahhh this rain..I like it for the plants but feel bad for the little meaties out in the tractor. They have shelter but I still, I can't help it!

I have to say I am very happy with the chicks I ordered from PFU. I got 3 bronze turkeys and 3 red rangers to try them out. They have been super healthy and friendly. We put them out at 4 weeks and they had no problems what so ever. I can't recall if they come from Ideal or Cackle but next year I will be getting more :)

Next project...building a chick shelter in the big coop so I can move the rest of the layers out. One of the marans was making a pathetic attempt at crowing this morning so I think it is almost time!

Back
Top Bottom