Maine

I'm looking for some unpasteurized milk around the Augusta area for some cheese I want to make. Emery's Market used to sell it but I went in today and they had stopped a few weeks ago. Anyone else know where I could get some? Hopefully cow not goat.

Thanks.
You can get raw milk at lakeside orchards in Manchester I believe. I belong to a food coop run out of gardiner that also sells raw milk ( it's called the Kennebec local food initiative) I also think the new natural food store in Farmingdale sells raw milk- the store is on Maine avenue...and I think it's called sunrise natural foods.

DH seems to think it is illegal to sell raw milk except directly from the farm. I don't know.

I have a grainy IPad photo of my blue leopard bird that I took quite a while ago. I'll try to add it here. Really, she is just a splash patterned bird, but I never had one of those before.

I'm looking for some unpasteurized milk around the Augusta area for some cheese I want to make. Emery's Market used to sell it but I went in today and they had stopped a few weeks ago. Anyone else know where I could get some? Hopefully cow not goat. Thanks.
New Health Food Store in Farmingdale has Raw milk advertised on their sign. Not sure what type.

DH seems to think it is illegal to sell raw milk except directly from the farm. I don't know.
I thought I had heard something like this as well but then I saw it being advertised in Farmingdale so....

Thanks LG! Haven't seen the fox lately but I'm sure it's still around. Ash, I like your frozen beetle idea. My DD has regulated any chicken-related items to the garage fridge & freezer. Can just imagine her face if she pulled a jar of frozen beetles out of the kitchen freezer!!
lau.gif
She's off to college in a month so won't have to worry about that until the first break!

I've been supervising range time for a few hours each day. It's more like recess duty...they're here..they're there...one is chasing another one around the coop or through the pen and out the front door of the coop. My DD was playing fetch with the dogs today. 1 of the hens ran after the ball each time but the dogs weren't letting her get that ball...no way!!

I've raked up all the grass clippings over the last 2 days for coop & run bedding. I've bagged them up in old feed bags. Does anyone else do this to stretch their shavings? If so, should I pack the bags tightly or leave some space? I know you can't pack hay too tightly. The clippings were dry when I bagged them. Should I put holes in the bags for air flow?

You can get raw milk at lakeside orchards in Manchester I believe. I belong to a food coop run out of gardiner that also sells raw milk ( it's called the Kennebec local food initiative) I also think the new natural food store in Farmingdale sells raw milk- the store is on Maine avenue...and I think it's called sunrise natural foods.

I am going to use Lakeside as a source until I can find someone that I can buy it direct from the farm. Thank you. I also appreciate the tip on Farmingdale, but I have no idea where that is.

I have a grainy IPad photo of my blue leopard bird that I took quite a while ago. I'll try to add it here. Really, she is just a splash patterned bird, but I never had one of those before.

Maine is one of 8 states that allow the retail sale of raw milk, but it must be labeled clearly NOT PASTEURIZED. We have one of the most relaxed laws in the US on raw milk. My sister (in Maryland) and my mom (in Virginia) have had a heck of a time getting some for cheesemaking. My mom eventually went with pasteurized milk from the grocery store and the cheese did set but took a long time to do so.

I love speckled birds, yours is gorgeous.

I am going to use Lakeside as a source until I can find someone that I can buy it direct from the farm. Thank you. I also appreciate the tip on Farmingdale, but I have no idea where that is.

Maine is one of 8 states that allow the retail sale of raw milk, but it must be labeled clearly NOT PASTEURIZED. We have one of the most relaxed laws in the US on raw milk. My sister (in Maryland) and my mom (in Virginia) have had a heck of a time getting some for cheesemaking. My mom eventually went with pasteurized milk from the grocery store and the cheese did set but took a long time to do so.

I love speckled birds, yours is gorgeous.

I love Lakeside...they have great donuts...haha

Farmingdale is the next town over from Hallowell, on your way to Gardiner!

hello!

This morning I noticed that one of my pullets has webbed feet! I looked on the threads for info. and didn't find much. I did find someone else asking about their chick with webbed feet that was a silver laced wyandotte and someone else also had a chick with webbed that is a slw. My pullet is an slw. Is this common with the breed? Should I be concerned at all? She seems fine to me. She runs around like the rest and has started roosting. One person did say that you should cut the webbing! Ugh, I do not want to do. It seems like cruel and inhumane torture.

here is a photo. Sorry it's not the best photo. But you can see that it's between her outter toe and middle. It's on both feet.

maybe she's part duck, lol
I've not heard of it before.

hello!

This morning I noticed that one of my pullets has webbed feet! I looked on the threads for info. and didn't find much. I did find someone else asking about their chick with webbed feet that was a silver laced wyandotte and someone else also had a chick with webbed that is a slw. My pullet is an slw. Is this common with the breed? Should I be concerned at all? She seems fine to me. She runs around like the rest and has started roosting. One person did say that you should cut the webbing! Ugh, I do not want to do. It seems like cruel and inhumane torture.

here is a photo. Sorry it's not the best photo. But you can see that it's between her outter toe and middle. It's on both feet.

maybe she's part duck, lol
I've not heard of it before.
If it ain't broke, why fix it? does she have full range between the webbing: can she spread her toes as much as a non-webbed chicken can? Just food for thought. As long as she doesn't seem to be hampered in her foraging skills, I'd leave it alone. There's no benefit to be gained as long as she is functional. You might take that flaw into consideration with future hatching plans.

To Coop chick 719 re:
I've raked up all the grass clippings over the last 2 days for coop & run bedding. I've bagged them up in old feed bags. Does anyone else do this to stretch their shavings? If so, should I pack the bags tightly or leave some space? I know you can't pack hay too tightly. The clippings were dry when I bagged them. Should I put holes in the bags for air flow?

I use nothing but grass clippings in the lower area of my coop and dump them in straight from the lawn mower bagger. (The lower level is on what used to be sod) If the clippings are too deep or get too wet from rain seeping in, they can start to get moldy, and smell like cow poo, but that's only happened once, and the situation quickly turned around when I repositioned their shade tarp. The girls love to dig around in them, and actually do some dust bathing with them. I can't wait to add them to my garden when the girls are done with them... if there is ever any thing to add. They decompose very quickly, and I need to top up with about 4" every week or 2. I'm already stressing and planning re: finding a ready source of bagged leaves for winter bedding. Any one out there have input about using oak leaves for mulch in the garden? Do they have any - effect on plant growth?

If you bag them, be sure they are very dry first, and I wouldn't pack them too tight. The mixture of clippings with shavings and poo should be a delightful blend when it's done cooking.

Any one out there have input about using oak leaves for mulch in the garden?  Do they have any - effect on plant growth?

I use them all the time. I wouldn't advise using whole leaves as they take a long time to break down. I rake rows in the autumn and then run over them with the mower. I put the shredded leaves in the run for insulation in the winter and it the veggie garden.

Back
Top Bottom