Maine

Chicks need grit when they're getting anything other than chick starter or prepared chick feed. You can give them stuff from your yard. Just realize that they're then exposed to the pathogens in your yard, which is not necessarily a bad thing as it will build their immunity. A lot of folks cut a chunk of sod and give it to their baby chicks to give them a good bacterial load for their guts and get them going on insects and greens early on. Also helps to keep them from getting bored and picking on each other.

Sod? What is Sod?

Oh! Guess I wasn't thinking of that. Thanks!

I have this pretty little Americauna who isn't laying anymore. She is only 15 months old, but she hasn't laid an egg in over 2 months. Her diet is great, she looks great, not sick, has been wormed...the other hens are starting to lay better (I think they all went through their molt). We're set to process some meat birds in about a month...should I give this hen more time, or cull her?

she's just taking a break, I wouldn't cull her. but that's my opinion.

I have this pretty little Americauna who isn't laying anymore. She is only 15 months old, but she hasn't laid an egg in over 2 months. Her diet is great, she looks great, not sick, has been wormed...the other hens are starting to lay better (I think they all went through their molt). We're set to process some meat birds in about a month...should I give this hen more time, or cull her?

Just randomly posting here--I was wondering if I was still serious about the chickens because we haven't built anything yet (lack of immediate expendable income). I went on craigslist to see what was out there and, maybe, two or three entries down I was whining at my fiance "I want I want I want"...I guess I just needed a reminder as to why I wanted to do this in the first place.
smile.png

I can't make a recommendation based on facts, or science, but I've seen a lot of raving reviews for "Quik Chik" helping people in your exact situation. It seems as though the huge boost of vitamins and electrolytes is big for making birds (even healthy ones) kick back into a laying cycle. I found it over at McMurray's hatchery site. Up to you, but figure it's not a big investment, and could help out!

Cheers,
Jazor

Thanks for the advice. I got all excited this morning to see her leaving the laying area (of course they have nest boxes in their coop, but they tend to like to lay in the hay storage area instead.) I was like 'Ooooo! I bet she laid an egg!" and ran out in my pajamas....nope...no egg :( . I'll look into that Quick Chik. I hate to not keep her around, since she's one of our favorites, but I see no sense in keeping a critter around that isn't producing as it should. Same rule for our other farm animals.

I made a nice "chilly morning molt" breakfast for the girls this morning. It consists of scrambled egg cooked in olive oil with dry cat food. Once that comes off the stove it's mixed with thick prepared oatmeal that has flax seed mixed in. It sounds nasty, but they love it and seems to be helping them regrow their feathers. Added bonus, no one has slowed down in production. Coincidence?

I made a nice "chilly morning molt" breakfast for the girls this morning. It consists of scrambled egg cooked in olive oil with dry cat food. Once that comes off the stove it's mixed with thick prepared oatmeal that has flax seed mixed in. It sounds nasty, but they love it and seems to be helping them regrow their feathers. Added bonus, no one has slowed down in production. Coincidence?

I'd be a little nervous, or skeptical of what's in the cat food to be honest. That's just me. If I was eating the eggs, I'd want to know what the hens are eating (or at least have the peace of mind of only feeding them things I am certain about). It's probably no big deal at all, but just something to think about! Cat food is certainly not "organic" feed, if you're going for that for your girls!
tongue.png

Cheers,
Jazor

Back
Top Bottom