Maine

This humidifier now has heavy paper towels wetted and hanging in the sides as well as the containers of water and sponge. Water condenses along the windows at the top so that I can hardly see in but the meter still says its only 41 percent humidity in there. When I open it it feels like a gentle sauna so I am going to just cross my fingers like this
fl.gif
and hope. Today was the first day to really feel like spring for a little while. I put my faith in the trees. The sap is running so... spring HAS to be on its way.
You really don't need all that much humidity for the first 18 days. If your window is fogging up bad, I would guess your hygrometer is not working properly. Make sure you check your air cell to make sure it is getting bigger on schedule. It's not exact science but it should look something like this;
e
aircells.gif

Newb question: what is a "package" vs a Nuc?
We are debating bees this year or next...and I have only done very preliminary research.

Widget answered this really well. I'll be getting a package mostly because I'm nervous about bringing other peoples frames into my hive (disease/etc). I also hate bringing live birds home... along that same thought process. I am also doing medium sized hives instead of deeps, and most people sell nuc's in deeps, so they aren't compatible.

I will tend your bees if you tell me what to do. I love them an am not allergic. (Did I tell you I teach all my kids to pet bees from toddler age? Yup) What about the cleaner bees that are being developed out west?

Well... still hovering at 40 humidity here. Very irritating. I think the house is dry because of winter and I think the temps are ranging so much between day and night... oh another hatch doomed from the start.

I may need you to install them in the hive. If I get my hands on a package this year it may come while I'm in Utah.
barnie.gif
Don't worry about getting the humidity up, I always hatch in the winter and don't have much of a problem.

Widget, congrats on being FT again!!

Bees sound like an interesting project, are they difficult? Do you need yardage or can they thrive on small plots? Those of you with kids, no issues? It wouldn't be something I'd start this year, but maybe in the future.

We have two roosters in our flock, both have crowed previously and I've seen them both mount females in the past, but only one of them crows now. Is there ANY chance the non-crowing male could still be dominant and the primary fertilizer? I like both roos, but the quiet one is the one I was hoping would be dominant! I don't have the space, time, or financial commitment to set up a whole new run and coop to split the flock to make sure he does his job.
roll.png

Also, a gardening question... Picked up seeds and a mini-greenhouse yesterday. IF I can actually get the seeds to sprout and grow, this will be our first year with a garden. I'm planning on doing raised beds, either one or two 4'x8' grids. BUT, how do I determine when to start seeds indoors? I never got around to ordering from a catalog and wound up just picking up a bunch of heritage and organic Burpee seeds instead. Cucumbers, carrots, peas, green beans, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, and watermelon. There are more things I'd like to add, but for a first garden this should be plenty! Can I start everything indoors, or do some (like the carrots) need to go directly in the garden? I am completely new to gardening (obviously!), so any suggestions would be appreciated! Was the watermelon a bad idea, or should I go for it? Love watermelon, but man it takes a lot of space!

Also picked up some mammoth sunflower seeds for the kids and chickens, would I be better starting those indoors? Haven't decided yet where I'm even going to put them, maybe along the chicken fence? Any other plants that would be good to plant along the fence for the chickens to snack on through the wire?

A small plot is fine for them. You want them at least 20 feet away from anything you'd frequent often (like the door of your house).

I put together a small table for myself based upon the seeds that I buy for start dates. I base my frost free date about 2 weeks before the "official" one:
2013 Garden
Last frost free date 18 May
4 weeks before: 20 April
6 weeks before: 6 April
8 weeks before: 23 March
Then on the table I put the various types of seeds I plant and the recommended time to start them (it's on the seed package) based on my frost free date. I also keep a few columns for notes like when I started them/transplanted them, how the weather was, when they first started to form flowers, when I got the first fruit/veggie, how they produced, did they get disease, and any other notable notes. I tend to start my peppers earlier than recommended because I find they grow really slow for me indoors. I'll probably start them this coming weekend instead of 23 March.

Peppers

Sow indoors 8 weeks before last frost
23 MARCH

Seedlings emerge in 10-21
days

HI ALL...in Palermo maine...Time to increase my flock...looking for day old chicks that will be ready end of this month (as my new coop won't be ready till mid May or so...and...gotta get a brooder that can handle about 16 chicks :))

Looking for EE, OliveEggers, Maran, and Faverolles.

I know that there is a "buy/trade" forum...not sure how to sort for those available in Maine, though.

Thanks for the help

Every year varies, but it is good to know your microclimate when starting the garden. I tend to start things later, since my last frost date is often after the official one. We've never had a frost in July, but that's the only month I can say that for.

I do think the climate is changing though, so I've been adjusting my dates. And now that we have the hoop houses, I can push things a little earlier. The peas are always the first thing I plant outdoors "out in the open", as soon as I can work the soil. Most years, that is around April 19.

I hate these last few days before the chicks hatch. I just want them to hurry up so I can see them. I have no clue which roo is the father of any of the chicks, or who the mothers are. They're going to be soooo cute!

Hooray, ashandvine! I hope there is still hope for my Ameraucanas starting up in the next week or two.

gracejr, it is likely that the quiet roo is not dominant, but he may still be mating the hens. My dominant roo sometimes allows the second roo to crow, and sometimes chases him down. He seems to allow mating with certain hens, although not with others.

DH was all excited about the bee talk. He says some of his happiest moments involved watching the bees and having them all hitting him in the face. He did not always wear the bee get-up. The main rule: always move very, very slowly, and never accidentally squish a bee. Also, never kill a black fly and let it fall into the hive. I think that may have been the time we made the frantic trip to the hospital.
I have 4 that have been laying daily for over a month now, I guess I am a lucky lady!!

It's funny, within hours of that post asking about the roos, guess who I hear crowing? :lol: And after listening to their crows, which are very different from one another, I think it's actually Pepper who's been crowing at dawn. Spartacus usually crows during the afternoon while they're out.

We've been lucky with eggs too, laying was low at one point but never came to a full halt. Probably helped that I have all younger chickens who were coming into age throughout the winter too? 12 females here (1 has never laid, 1 isn't old enough) we're getting at least 6 eggs a day right now. And that's without heat or artificial light. :D Hoping someone will go broody once it warms up a bit more, get a bunch of mutt chicks to raise out without the mess of a brooder. lol

Thank you all for the garden help! One more question though... Not all the seed packets give directions for starting indoors. So how would I determine when to start them if they only say to direct sow after frost? Green beans or peas, for example. I think the only ones that gave indoor instructions were the tomatoes and bell peppers.

Here is the planting chart! I figured I'd post it here in case anyone else wanted/needed one....
Dumb question, but this is based off Maine climate? When I googled yesterday it gave me the last frost date near the end of May. (Zone 5A) With all the snow still on the ground it seems crazy to think I could have a garden growing in a month from now! Though I suppose the giant mud pit of a driveway is a sure sign of spring. :rolleyes: :lol:

how far along are your eggs? if they are not due to hatch, you could be drowning them with too much humidity.

Feel free to explain this. Recommendations are for 50% humidity till day 14-18 and much more at hatch. I realize the egg is porous but at this point they aren't breathing air like we are, they are in a wet environment.
hu.gif
At present it is 33% and holding steady at 99.0. It is early yet so I might try moving this all down to the basement in the morning so the temp can hold more steady. IDK if there is more humidity down there but I can hope. I can't see it as often though so that's a loss.

I have only had a few pms regarding a get together. If I do not hear from more then ... it will be very small :)

The geese I wanted so badly seem to either be missing entirely or they have secretly been given to someone else. The man says they are no where to be found. I called the ACO of the town just in case. For anyone in the Windham area if you see four brown and white geese about that would be they. I have had a correspondent offer me eggs but its still just one more 'loss' here. Where is spring!?? I need it.

Back
Top Bottom